Skip to main content

Our Choice Selections - Bouchercon 2008

Over the last few days my friend, Jared Case, has been posting what he will be doing at the Baltimore Bouchercon starting on Thursday. If you decide to stalk Jared he will probably be the one in the Blue Jays cap.

The Toronto Blue Jays? The baseball team? Yeah I know. I don't get it either.

What The Hungry Detective is offering is not a blow by blow account of our movements while we are in Baltimore, but our picks for the best panels on all four days. This post contains our selections for Thursday and Friday. While tomorrows post will look forward to Saturday and Sunday.

Thursday 8:30a-9:30a
ROCKIN' ROBIN (The Hollies) Rocking the house with Robin. Robin Burcell(M), James O. Born, Sean Chercover, Vincent O'Neil, Julia Spencer Fleming. (International D)

If this is your first Bouchercon experience go to Bouchercon 101 (International A). It will calm the nerves, otherwise the above is THD approved.

Thursday 10a-11a
GET UP (I FEEL LIKE BEING A) SEX MACHINE (James Brown) Does sex really sell books? Ted Hertel(M), Lori Armstrong, Mary Burton, Meg Chittenden, David Corbett (International D)

You won't have to get up out of your seat from the previous panel. Unless you want to see me try and get a bunch of books signed during the break? Always entertaining.

Thursday 11:30a-12:30p
LIKE A HURRICANE (Neil Young) Three guys talking. Ace Atkins, Lee Child, William Kent Krueger. (International D)

Even I am surprised that the International D is throwing a shutout here. If you are here you are missing a ton of great authors I won't even depress you by listing them all.

Thursday 1:30p-2:30p
REMEMBER WHAT I TOLD YOU TO FORGET (Taveres) Our favorite mistakes. Jan Brogan(M), Stephen Booth, Dana Cameron, Jason Pinter, Mark Sullivan (International C)

This panel promises that even authors you love can make mistakes. Come to point; stay to laugh at them.

Thursday 3p-4p
CONCRETE JUNGLE (Bob Marley & the Wailers) Urban or rural does the setting change the writing? Reed Farrel Coleman(M), Thomas H. Cook, Steve Hamilton, David Hewson, Laura Lippman (International D)

Get your first glimpse of hometown gal Laura Lippman, plus the beloved Reed Farrel Coleman.

Thursday 4:30p-5:30p
DOWN IN THE HOLE (Tom Waits) Authors discuss their love of The Wire and Homicide. Brian Azzarello(M), Harry Hunsicker, Scott Phillips, Peter Robinson, Wallace Stroby. (International B)

Well, you are in Baltimore. Learn more about the two best television programs of the last 20 years.

Friday 8:30a-9:30a
SIX DAYS ON THE ROAD (Dave Dudley) Zoe Sharp(M), Glynn Marsh Alam, Barry Eisler, N.M. Kelby, Jonatha Santlofer, Marcia Talley (International B)

Sharp and Eisler are pretty entertaining to listen too. Reason enough to get up.

Friday 10a-11a
WATCHING THE DETECTIVES (Elvis Costello) Did watching too much TV actually help? Sean Chercover(M), Bill Cameron, Libby Fischer Hellmann, Harry Hunsicker, Duane Swierczynski (International E)

This is the killer session. Man this this a hard pick. Besides all of the great people speaking there is a Chicago panel that has neither Sean Chercover or Marcus Sakey. Ballsy.

Friday 11:30a-12:30p
THE KILLING MOON (Echo & The Bunnymen) Noir for the new century. Megan Abbott & Eddie Muller (Pratt)

Let's slow it down with a little one-on-one action. Hey baby what room you staying in?

Friday 1:30p-2:30p
CATCH A RISING STAR (Jim Roberts) Best first novelists. Margaret Maron(M), Sean Chercover, Lisa Lutz, Craig McDonald, Marcus Sakey (International D)

Room International D we meet again. All of the Anthony noms for Best First Novel are scheduled to appear.

Friday 3p-4p
COME AND TALK TO ME (Peter Gabriel) Thee goddesses talking. Rhys Bown, Louise Penny, Deborah Crombie (International E)

Listen and learn from three of the best in the business.

Friday 4:30p-5:30p
A SINGER MUST DIE (Leonard Cohen) Books that have a lasting impact. Jennifer Jordan(M), John Connolly, Christa Faust, Russell McClean, Nathan Singer, Martyn Waits (International B)

Killer group. Love the accents. 'Nuff said.

Two days down. two to go. The Hungry Detective's best bets for the first two days. I'll be there for some of them, resting my eyes for others. What ever panels you decide to attend, just know that you are about to have one of the best weekends of your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...