Skip to main content

Day 1 - Bouchercon Report

$9.95 per day. That is how much The Hungry Detective is paying for an internet connection. Oh dear. This just proves our commitment to those of you who foolishly decided not to attend.

Sean Doolittle(L) - Sean Chercover(R)

My biggest highlight of the day was meeting Ace Atkins. Here is a guy who I have read from the beginning. THD is definitely in for his historical based novel on Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle. Title of that book will be Devil's Garden. A close second in the highlight department was shaking hands with Sean Chercover. I told Sean that he provided me with my most surreal moment of the year when he phoned me at work. He thanked me for posting the Trigger City widget then, and I was happy to thank him for the ARC now .

Jason Pinter

The book room. Two years ago in Madison I didn't have a plan. This year I had a plan. It was an ill conceived one. Based in Rochester, New York means The Hungry Detective just does not see this kind of quantity or quality of books. I could spend $1000 without batting an eyelash, and this is just for the new books. There is a copy of George Pelecanos's Nick's Trip, that has already given me serious pause. Perhaps that copy of Down By the River Where the Dead Men Go will suffice.

Barry Eisler

Book purchases are strictly my concern though. Another highlight was hearing that Sean Doolittle has new book, Safer, coming in early 2009. Barry Eisler will also release his latest, Fault Line, in the Spring. The Hungry Detective was also happy to met Jason Pinter, who much like the others has a book for March.

Toward the end of the evening was the Opening Ceremony Reception. The room was packed to what seemed fire capacity. There was something genuinely thrilling to see all those people who have dedicated themselves in whatever way to this wonderful field. Guests of Honor were introduced and a multitude of awards were delivered to a number of grateful writers. It was a good start to what is already a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...