Skip to main content

Our Choice Selections Pt. 2 - Bouchercon 2008

Yesterday we posted what we thought were the best of the panel offerings for the first two days of the Baltimore Bouchercon. Below are our selections for Saturday and Sunday. Let's continue

Saturday 8:30a-9:30p

BEEN AROUND THE WORLD (Puff Daddy) Travel the globe with Janet and Friends. Janet Rudolph(M), Charles Benoit, Jason Goodwin, Arnaldur Indridason, Michael Stanley. (International E)

How often can you say you met someone from Iceland? Buy the works of Arnaldur Indridason and be able to say yes to that question. Charles Benoit is probably one of the better authors you are not reading.

Saturday 10a-11a
YESTERDAY'S NEWPAPERS (Eddie Rambeau) Reporters in fact and fiction. Bryan Gilmer(M), Rebecca Drake, Jack Getze, Marion Moore Hill, Bob Morris, L.J. Sellers (International A)

Reporters make great amateur sleuths. I don't know any of the panelist, but I am excited to hear what they have to say.

Saturday 11:30a-12:30p
MURDER WHAT FUN (shy calr) Why we love writing Crime Fiction. Rhys Bowen(M), John Billheimer, Alafair Burke, Chris Grabenstein, Tom Schrek. (International E)

Another tough choice. Being here means you will miss Mark Billingham, Declan Hughes, Linwood Barclay, Max Allan Collins. Perhaps the second toughest panel choice of the week.

Saturday 1:30p-2:30p
BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN (Albert King) Protagonists that walk the line. Robin Hathaway(M),
Sean Doolittle, R.J. Ellroy, J.D. Rhoades, Steve Thayer. (International E)

I'll be honest and say we should all be over listening to Charles Ardai interviewing Lawrence Block, but if you wanna second choice, here ye' go.

Saturday 3p-4p
Toastmaster Mark Billingham in a conversation with John Connolly (International E)

Lets start to wind it down a bit. Ease into that Saturday afternoon nap we are all dying for.

Saturday 4:30p-5:30p
BEER FOR MY HORSES (Toby Keith) The all about beer panel. Blake Crouch (barkeep), Lori Armstrong, Victor Gischler, J.A. Konrath, Scott Phillips (International E)

Can you believe you are attending a panel inspired in part by a Toby Keith song? Yikes what is next; voting for McCain/Pallin. I think I am going to be sick.

Sunday 8:30a-930a
CALL ME WHEN YOU'RE SOBER (Buddha Lounge Ensemble) Sunday hangover. Declan Hughes(M), Declan Burke, Stuart MacBride, Martyn Waites (International D)

Wash your mouth out with some Scoop and splash some on your clothes for good measure; you just maybe the freshest smelling person in the room. This many accents this early on the last day is likely to cause some freakouts.

Sunday 10a-11a
American Guest of Honor Laura Lippman interviewed by Michael Koryta (International D)

That gentle snoring you hear is you. Wake Up!

Holy Cow! Done! Now it is time to sit back and enjoy the Anthony Awards Brunch. The Hungry Detective will be posting (cross your fingers) daily from Baltimore. We are going to try and put something together between the end of the day and sleep.

The Hungry Detective wishes everyone safe travels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...