Skip to main content

Anthony Award Winners - 2008

This is the second awards ceremony that I have attended. The other one was 2007 Academy Awards. Slightly better seats for this one. I'll add some commentary on Monday. Columbus Day tomorrow means I have the day to recover.

Let me refer you to our picks... made all the way back in June.

Winners are in Red and bold. THD picks in Blue. I picked against Laura Lippman because why again? Oh yes, stupidity.

Best Novel
Tin Roof Blowdown - James Lee Burke
Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child
The Watchman - Robert Crais
Thunder Bay - William Kent Krueger
What the Dead Know - Laura Lippman

Best First Novel
Big City, Bad Blood - Sean Chercover
In the Woods - Tana French
The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz
Head Games - Craig McDonald
The Blade Itself - Marcus Sakey

Best Paperback Original
Queenpin - Megan Abbott
Slide - Ken Bruen and Jason Starr
Blood of Paradise - David Corbett
Baby Shark's Beaumont Blues - Robert Fate
A Thousand Bones - P.J. Parrish

Short Story
Watch Your Step - Rhys Bowen (The Strand Magazine)
Dear Dr. Watson - Steve Hockensmith (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine)
How Stella Got Her Grave Back - Toni L.P. Kelner (Many Bloody Returns)
Hardly Knew Her - Laura Lippman (Dead Man's Hand)
Uncle - Daniel Woodrell ( A Hell of Woman: An Anthology of Female Noir)

Critical Work
Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letter - Jon Lellenberg
The Essential Mystery Lists - Roger Sobin
The Triumph of the Thiller: How Cops, Crooks, and Cannibals Captured Popular Fiction - Patrick Anderson
Deviance in Contemporary Crime Fiction - Christiana Gregoriou

Special Services
Jon and Ruth Jordan - Crimespree Magazine
Ali Karim - Shotz Magazine
Maddy Van Hertbruggen - 4MA
Sarah Weinman - Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind
Judy Babalik - for being one of the best friends and supporters of mystery writers anywhere.

Web Site
Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind - Sarah Weinman
Rap Sheet/January Magazine - J Kingston Pierce
Murderati - A Writer's Blog
Stop You're Killing Me - Stan Ulrich and Lucinda Surber
Crime Fiction Dossier - David Montgomery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...