Skip to main content

Summer! Bummer! Upcoming Book Drops

I don't know if this is true for you, but my ability to read decreases sharply between May and September as I attempt to maintain the best lawn on my block. Book purchasing also declines a bit, but that does not mean there are not interesting books releasing.

The new releases desk of The Hungry Detective has culled many resources to produce this list, and I have thrown in my two cents.... more like my $24.95..... to bring you THD's most anticipated for Summer 2007.

Queenpin - Megan Abbott (June 4)
Pulp with a female perspective is slightly naughty. Maybe that is just the 15 year old boy in me. I hope there is a chapter or two detailing pillow fights in lingerie. Ya know typical girl stuff. Seriously, Megan has a cultivated a huge cult following with here first two books. I need to read one of them before this book releases.

The Tin Roof Blow Down - James Lee Burke (July 17)
James has spent the last 15 years at the top of Mount Crime Fiction, with few companions. Every book he writes is important. A minor bit of sacrileg is to say that, at this point, I prefer his Billy Bob Holland series to Robiceaux.


Crosshairs - Harry Hunsicker (August 7)
Third in the Lee Henry Oswald series. Our unfortunately named PI plies his trade in Dallas. Hilarity occasionally ensues from this otherwise tough series.



The Overlook - Michael Connelly (May 22)
New Bosch is old Bosch. This is the hard cover edition of the serialized story that appeared in the New York Times.

The Snake Stone - Jason Goodwin (June 26 UK, Oct 16 US)
His surprise Edgar win, will pretty much insure that his second in the Yashim Togalu series will get a nice push. I'm torn about checking this series out. Buying the first book in the series means I'm going to have to put out a little extra money to get this book.... unless I luck across it at B&N or the like.


A Welcome Grave - Michael Koryta (June 26)
Loved his first. Reports on his second say he is the real deal to stick around this racket for a bunch of books. I'll be there to read them all!


The Follower - Jason Starr (August 7)
October we will also the sequel to Bust, Slide. Double awesomeness is Ken Bruen is along to co-author.

The Mark
- Jason Pinter (June 26)
The list is light on debuts.... and I read heard good things..... or at least good blurbs.


Hard Man - Allan Guthrie (June 4 US... already available in the UK)
Mr. Guthrie's prolific use of the C-Word is a little unsettling , but Scottish is our favorite accent.



Jared Case - Murder at the Dryden. (Tentative title)
No publishing deal..... yet. But I hope my friend will let me read his first book this summer. It is no lie for us here at The Hungry Detective to write that this is our most anticipated book of this summer. Cheers Jared! Congratulations!

Don't forget to take a look at our previous list. Most of those books are already out, so grab them if you see them at your local independent bookseller. You will not be disappointed!

Comments

Marcus Sakey said…
Hey man, just wanted to drop by and thank you for the title suggestions! Much appreciated.

Cheers,

-Marcus

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...