Skip to main content

What hath Henning Mankell wrought.... besides Umlauts.

Long in the writing phase.... even longer in the editing phase.... I have the pleasure of publishing the first report from THD's Foreign Desk.

Four(4) New Faces in Swedish Fiction:

Kjell Eriksson leads this group of Leif Ericson acolytes. Last year's The Princess of Burundi was his first book released in the US. First Editions are already going for $40 as this book is into a fifth printing. His second US release is The Cruel Stars of the Night.

Hakan Nesser has been writing for well over a decade at this point. Borkmann's Point appeared on these shores last year, but the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy gave this their Best Novel award in 1994. Ten(10) books make up the Van Veeteren series.


Helene Tursten has written eight(8) in the Detective Inspector Huss series. The US has so far seen only three in this lauded series. The latest is the The Glass Devil, which followed last year's The Torso.



Asa Larsson is the youngest of this group of four(4) writers, having been born in 1966. Her second US release is Blood Split while the UK market has seen her third, The Savage Alter.


Of course, I am leaving off the giant of modern Swedish Crime Fiction, Henning Mankell. The reason for this omission is mainly to do to the fact that Henning saw his first English translation back in 1999 with Faceless Killers. While three of four writers mentioned here have long careers behind them they are only now just seeing their fine work published in English translations.

We look forward to reading all of these authors.

*The Photo Desk here at THD had the week off. Monday will see the addition of photos to this article.

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...