Skip to main content

What is New and Shiny in 2007 - Finally

What am I looking forward to in 2007? Let me tell you.....

Steve Hockensmith - On the Wrong Track
His first was a good... not great... blend of historical, Holmes, and western fiction.

Adrian Mckinty - The Bloomsday Dead
His first book was flat out brilliant. This is the third book in the Michael Forsythe series. Need to read the the second in the series the The Dead Yard soon. 2005's Hidden River was pretty good as well.

Marcus Sakey - The Blade Itself
Some buzz here. I know nothing about the book other than it is coming out soon.

Chris Grabenstein - Whack-A-Mole
Highly entertaining series that has just the right touch of seriousness.

Dennis Lehane - [Untitled Historical Boston Novel]
I ain't holding my breath on this one. But man, I can't wait.

Sean Chercover - Big City, Bad Blood
Another Chicago author that is getting great reviews. It is also a reminder that I need to read Eugene Izzi.

Robert Crais - The Watchman
People! A Joe Pike novel. Mixed feelings about this one. Pike ranks up there with Clete Purcell and Raymond 'Mouse' Alexander. Great character, but do I really want to see behind the sunglasses?

Michael Robotham - The Night Ferry
Just finished his first book Suspect. I like the London locales so I'm excited for this new book. Inspector Ruiz is back for a third time but as supporting character again.

Maureen Jennings - The Journeyman to Grief
For my money the best historical series out there. Great stuff.

James O. Born - Field of Fire
Florida crime fiction can take up a whole wing in a library. I have never really cottoned to it. Still I liked his first book Walking Money. This is non-series or a new series.

Some of these books are already out, and the rest (save the Lehane) are out by the summer. Release schedules for anything after May is pretty sparse. I'll try and revisit this later in the year.

Comments

I passed your comments on to Maureen and she was very pleased to say the least. Her 13 episode television series starts filing the same day her new book is releaased. I will put lots of stuff up on my blog as the fiming goes along. The series will air in Canada in 2008 entitled "The Detective Murdoch Mysteries". Granada Interntational is the distributor (the handle Helen Mirren and Prime Suspect) So hopefull there will be a US broadcaster as well. Filming commences May 1 and finishes end August. There will be an episode based on Let Loose the Dogs, Murdoch novel #4. Otherwise these are all original stories not written bt Maureen, but based on her characters. We have seen 9 script outlines so far and we like the direction the show will take.
thanks again,
Iden

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...