Skip to main content

What is New and Shiny in 2007 - Finally

What am I looking forward to in 2007? Let me tell you.....

Steve Hockensmith - On the Wrong Track
His first was a good... not great... blend of historical, Holmes, and western fiction.

Adrian Mckinty - The Bloomsday Dead
His first book was flat out brilliant. This is the third book in the Michael Forsythe series. Need to read the the second in the series the The Dead Yard soon. 2005's Hidden River was pretty good as well.

Marcus Sakey - The Blade Itself
Some buzz here. I know nothing about the book other than it is coming out soon.

Chris Grabenstein - Whack-A-Mole
Highly entertaining series that has just the right touch of seriousness.

Dennis Lehane - [Untitled Historical Boston Novel]
I ain't holding my breath on this one. But man, I can't wait.

Sean Chercover - Big City, Bad Blood
Another Chicago author that is getting great reviews. It is also a reminder that I need to read Eugene Izzi.

Robert Crais - The Watchman
People! A Joe Pike novel. Mixed feelings about this one. Pike ranks up there with Clete Purcell and Raymond 'Mouse' Alexander. Great character, but do I really want to see behind the sunglasses?

Michael Robotham - The Night Ferry
Just finished his first book Suspect. I like the London locales so I'm excited for this new book. Inspector Ruiz is back for a third time but as supporting character again.

Maureen Jennings - The Journeyman to Grief
For my money the best historical series out there. Great stuff.

James O. Born - Field of Fire
Florida crime fiction can take up a whole wing in a library. I have never really cottoned to it. Still I liked his first book Walking Money. This is non-series or a new series.

Some of these books are already out, and the rest (save the Lehane) are out by the summer. Release schedules for anything after May is pretty sparse. I'll try and revisit this later in the year.

Comments

I passed your comments on to Maureen and she was very pleased to say the least. Her 13 episode television series starts filing the same day her new book is releaased. I will put lots of stuff up on my blog as the fiming goes along. The series will air in Canada in 2008 entitled "The Detective Murdoch Mysteries". Granada Interntational is the distributor (the handle Helen Mirren and Prime Suspect) So hopefull there will be a US broadcaster as well. Filming commences May 1 and finishes end August. There will be an episode based on Let Loose the Dogs, Murdoch novel #4. Otherwise these are all original stories not written bt Maureen, but based on her characters. We have seen 9 script outlines so far and we like the direction the show will take.
thanks again,
Iden

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of