Skip to main content

Winter 2019 Preview

I enjoyed writing a seasonal preview of new Crime Fiction. One supposed that I could delve back into my post history to see that last time I did it, but that would be sad. Less sad, more happy in 2019.  Anyway, the following are books that piqued my interest.

This list is built off the back of Fantastic Fiction and more or less covers the time until March/April.

THE NEW IBERIA BLUES - James Lee Burke - OUT NOW
Latest and, no doubt, greatest by the best working American author. My plan is to read all of the JBL I have on my shelf this year, thus catching up on an author I have been behind on for nearly a decade.

MURDER AT THE BRITISH MUSEUM - Jim Eldridge - 3/19/2019
Second in the series from this author. The first was released just this last November, and a third coming this Summer. I'm a sucker for Brits and cool looking covers. Check and check.

THE KILLER COLLECTIVE - Barry Eisler - 2/1/2019
I read the first 4 or 5 John Rain books. I drifted away from the series when the author took a break from the series and alas I am unlikely to return to it. Still, if you are looking for a satisfying adventure/thriller series you would do well to pick up these books.

THE BLACK ASCOT - Charles Todd - 2/5/2019
Book 21 of Ian Rutledge. My goodness! Another series I read a couple books of and then abandoned. I wonder if Rutledge still speaks to the 'Ghost' of a fallen WW1 comrade? I liked this series, but the first book was very difficult to obtain. I remember that was one of those hypermodern books that spiked quickly in price. It was a different time for me as a reader of Crime Fiction and if I couldn't own it I looked elsewhere quickly.

THE LAST ACT - Brad Parks - 3/12/2019
Here is an author I always I wanted to read. Brad Parks came along when I was reading a fair amount of new authors and finding them all to be terribly mediocre or depressingly just fine. I could not suffer another disappointing read. Which obviously says more about me than Mr. Parks. 

DIARY OF A DEAD MAN ON LEAVE - David Downing - 4/2/2019
I'm in my late 40's now so I like WW2 and spies and books about WW2 spies. Mr. Downing's books cover these bases. I think of a lot of authors I would love to take up and Mr. Downing, and in particular his Station Series, is one of them. The setting is one that I enjoy a great deal, and the only author in my current roster writing something similar is Alan Furst, who general takes a minute in-between books. The other guy is James Benn. I had a bookstore that stocked the first 4-5 books in the Billy Boyle series. Alas, I only picked up the first. 

Currently: THE CORPSE BRIDGE - Stephen Booth
To Be Read: 37

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...