Skip to main content

I Miss Some People - Troy Soos

A couple weeks ago Mrs. Hungry Detective left on a weekend trip to Tucson. I took the opportunity to do a reorganization of the books. It is a long, frustrating project as I re-affirm my command of the alphabet and its standard order. Invariably, I run across a book by an author who is no longer writing. Some have crossed the river Styx, others have been lost in the gutting of the mid-list author that happens periodically. Others have moved on from the genre and I choose not to follow. I'm gonna tell you about some of them.

Author: Troy Soos
Character: Mickey Rawlins
The Work: MURDER AT FENWAY PARK (1994); MURDER AT EBBETS FIELD (1995); MURDER AT WRIGLEY FIELD (1996); HUNTING A DETROIT TIGER (1997); THE CINCINNATI RED STALKINGS (1998); HANGING CURVE (1999).

I went to the New York Antiquarian Book Fair a couple times. One of those times I bought Mr. Soos's first book MURDER AT FENWAY PARK. It cost me in excess of $100 which meant a lot to me then. I was making 20K a year and this was easily the most expensive book I had purchased. After I went to an NYC Mystery bookstore that is now long gone. The owner chatted me up about what I bought at the show. I told him. He asked how much I spent. I told him. He agreed that it was an OK price. The cost is never too much to spend on an author you love. And Troy Soos was that guy. I have bought nearly a thousand books in my life and I still have particular memories of buying these books.

Except it was over for this lovely little series. I told the store owner I was excited for Mr. Soo's next book THE TOMB THAT RUTH BUILT. It never came. My memory is that his publisher, Kensington, gutted most if not all of their mystery authors. And that was it. Not enough money was in an account when it mattered most and the series disappeared. He wrote four books in a different series at one point, I read none of them.

The hero of these 1920s set Baseball books was Mickey Rawlins, a journeyman player who brushed up against some of the most famous player's baseball has ever produced. Mr. Soos's wrote breezy stories with edges of darkness. Wonderful local color and skill for period detail. Mickey was an aspirational character for me. A bit of charm, a little cleverness, but mostly an ordinary character driven by a sense of decency. Once the internet became the thing he was one of the first authors I tried to figure out what had happened. But nobody told the tale.

There is a reprieve to this story. At some point, the rights must have reverted back to Mr. Soos. E-Books for all of the titles appeared on Amazon 3-4 years ago. And there it was. THE TOMB THAT RUTH BUILT was just sitting there, available for purchase. For fragile reasons owing toward nostalgia, I have yet to read that book. I experienced that end of the series once before, so for obvious if ridiculous reasons I am in no rush to have to confront that end again. Suffice to say it makes me incalculably happy that I have one more Micky Rawlins book to read.

Current Read: SECRETS OF DEATH - Stephen Booth
To Be Read: 38 (Added 2 books; one I didn't count and one I purchased)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...