Skip to main content

I recently spent alot of money on books... (cont.)...

As plans do, it quickly morphed from filling in the gaps of James Lee Burke to filling in the gaps of all the authors in the core collection. I'm missing three Robert Crais books including the uber-expensive LULLABY TOWN. Books three-five of the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson are missing. One book from Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series did not survive the move, plus (speaking of expensive) THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE. I'm missing Sean Doolittle's first book, DIRT. There are some early Alan Furst books I would love to add to the collection. The Nick Stefano books from George Pelecanos would be a pretty penny but are necessary at this point.

And of course THE BLACK ECHO with blue rebate band. Fifteen years ago I could have picked this book up right around $100. That would have been pretty close to 10% of my yearly take home pay. Over the years I would run across the book. I remember a jump in price to about $150-175, and then suddenly it was $350 and above. I could say that I waited too long, but procuring back catalog books was never on the front burning. It was always about buying a $25 book that would turn into a big ticket item.

I sat down and drew up a list of authors and all of the books I needed. This was the plan. Find these books and put them on my shelf. Somewhere around two dozen books. Completely manageable. Here was a focus to my Crime Fiction collection that I was lacking. A bit expensive yes, but if it took me five years to do that would be fine by me.

Except for the one author where I was missing anywhere between 30 and 100 books depending on how you looked at it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...