Skip to main content

Here is That List

Thirty books. A little shorter if I cut Olen Stenhauer's 'Yalta' series. A series I never read, but included based on my love for the 'Milo Weaver' books. Then again maybe slightly longer if I add a few more missing George Pelecanos.

I could depress myself by adding up suspected prices. A bunch are well over the $100 mark. But there is no end date to this assignment. I have certainly spent money on less important things.

This could take years. I hope it does.

[Editors Note: Updated 7/15/14 with recent purchases]
[Editors Note: Updated 10/5/14 with recent purchases]

James Lee Burke
Heavens Prisoner's
Black Cherry Blues
Morning for Flamingos
Pegasus Descending - 7/14/14

The Glass Rainbow  - 7/14/14
Feast Day of Fools
Creole Belle

Robert Crais
The Monkey's Rainbow
Lullaby Town
Indigo Slam - 7/14/14

Sean Doolittle
Dirt

Alan Furst
Night Soldiers
Dark Star
The World at Night
Red Gold
Spies of Balkan
Mission to Paris

Craig Johnson
Kindness Goes Unpunished
The Dark Horse

Laurie R. King
The Beekeepers Apprentice - 10/04/14
Justice Hall

George Pelecanos
A Firing Offense
Nick's Trip
Down By the River Where the Dead Men Go - 7/14/14

Olen Steinhauer
The Bridge of Sighs
The Confession
36 Yalta Blvd.
Liberation Movements
Victory Square
The Tourist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...