Skip to main content

And in Conclusion....

The Hungry Detective had planned on his Post-B'Con post to appear sooner, but the hand of fate had other plans, namely Pneumonia. However with loads of free time over the last 5 days I have felt, besides sick, not very creative in terms of posting here. I extend my apologies to long time readers of The Hungry Detective and those of you who are just here harvesting email addresses.

The Damage - 19 Books
THE LANGUAGE OF BEES + O JERUSALEM - Laurie King
9 DRAGONS - Michael Connelly
THE COLD DISH - Craig Johnson
THE LAST QUARRY + THE FIRST QUARRY + DEADLY BELOVED - Max Allan Collins
THE FURY - Jason Pinter
A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS + The ANNIVERSARY MAN - R.J. Ellory
SO COLD THE NIGHT - Michael Koryta (Free ARC at Connelly interview)
RUNNING FROM THE DEVIL - Jamie Freveletti
BLOOD DETECTIVE + BLOOD ATONEMENT - Daniel Waddell
DOUBLE EXPOSURE - Michael Lister
BOULEVARD - Stephen Jay Schwartz (Book Bazaar)
A CARRION OF DEATH - Michael Stanley (Book Bazaar)
DEAD MEN'S DUST - Matt Hilton (Book Bazaar)
JACK WAKES UP - Seth Harwood (Book Bazaar)

The Books: The Hungry Detective is pretty happy with how things ended up. I had a pretty strict plan going in. Only the Freveletti, Waddell, and Lister books were blind purchases. Oddest purchase was Jason Pinter's THE FURY. I had to go to the Borders down the street from the hotel. Most exciting purchase is Craig Johnson's THE COLD DISH. As far as I could tell it was the only hardcover copy in the room. The layout was good, and ultimately having the books and the authors in the same space worked out.

Panels: Initially I thought there was going to be at least one session a day that I would sit out. The reality is my butt was in a seat for every session. Save one panel which was an out and out stinker, I enjoyed all the panels I saw. 'Heroes for Our Times,' and 'The Cold Dead Hand of the Past' were highlights.

Other impressions: Book Bazaar is a great idea in need of refinement. Great not to see all of those unwanted books piled onto any available free table space in the hotel. Cramming 500? 600? people into that space was nuts. Hotel was perfectly located for plenty of food options. I'm from Wisconsin, so eating at the Weber Grill was mandatory. Elevators were probably the only minor annoyance about the hotel. Oh wait, the bar made the single worst Sidecar I have every had the misfortune to drink. Just terrible.

And in Conclusion: It was overwhelming to meet and spend some time with Trey Barker, Sean Doolittle, and Craig Johnson. Finally, finally It was great to spend some time with Jared. Thanks brother!

Comments

Seth Harwood said…
Hope you enjoy JACK WAKES UP! Had a great time at Bouchercon too and am just now... cough... starting to feel better myself.

Weber Grill? LOVE that place!
Dan Wagner said…
The Book Bazaar was probably the petri dish for B'Con Sickness 2009. Looking forward to the book!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...