Skip to main content

Our Choice Selections Pt. 2 -Bouchercon 2009

Not as long as Part One, primarily because Sunday is pretty limited in terms of a variety of offerings. Don't forget the continuing conversation that runs from 9a-3:30p on Saturday.

Saturday 9am - 9:55am
THE COLD DEAD HAND OF THE PAST
Ross Macdonald used the past as his grim reaper. Who's doing it today?

Sandra Parshall (M), Thomas H. Cook, Deborah Crombie, Jennifer McMahon, Dan Waddell

If they give away free Kindles I might decide to claw my way into that panel.

Saturday 10:30am - 11:35am
AUTOPSIES IN THE DARK
Can forensic mysteries deal with the unanswerable questions?

Alan Jacobson (M), Lisa Black, D.H. Dublin, Kathryn Fox

Okay, so you will probably be over a the MWA Poe panel. Pound for pound best group of writers all weekend. I might peak into that panel, but also the Crime Through Time panel and Serial Killers panel may tempt me.

Saturday 1:00 pm - 1:55pm
WAR CRIMES
How war shapes character and crime novels.

Suzanne Arruda (M), James R. Benn, Rebecca Cantrell, Martin Limon, Charles Todd

Not all Crime Novels featuring War as a back drop are historical, but they do happen to be the ones that interest me. The IMBA and Dilys Winn Award panel looks like a good one too.

Saturday 2:30pm - 3:25pm
DEATH IS MY BEAT
Reporters as protagonists in the changing worlds of journalism and crime fiction.

Brad Parks (M), Brian Gurley, David Heinzmann, Rick Mofina, Cheryl Solmini

I really get a kick out of the Journalist as PI, too bad there are so few authors doing it. Hopefully I will a few more at here.

Saturday 4:15pm - 6:00pm
Anthony Awards ceremony and Reception.

Will any of my predictions came true. Probably not. The Auction follows from 7p-9p. Lets see if I have any money left to buy anything?

Sunday 9am - 11am
THE BOOK BAZAAR.

Hosted by that shrinking violet J.A. Konrath, this program promises 70 author will be in attendance. Tickets are to be exchanged for free books. Not sure how many 'free' books you can pick up here, but do you really have room in your luggage for it anyway?

Sunday 10a - 10:55a
WOULD I LIE TO YOU?
S.J. Rozan poses questions to a star-studded panel of authors. Three of the authors will answer truthfully. One will lie. Can you identify the liar? The audience will vote and prizes will be awarded at the end of the hour.

This panel was a complete blast last year. I'll be packing up the car and heading back for the last panel of the 2009 Bouchercon.

Alright. There it is. The 'Best of Bouchercon 2009'. Now I only have a 9 hour drive back to Rochester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...