Skip to main content

The Hungry Detective Panel Picks - Bouchercon 2014

Hello and welcome to The Hungry Detective panel picks for the 2014 Long Beach Bouchercon. In years past I would pick one panel for each session. This time around I'm going to pick 2-3 for each day. Some of these I will make, and some of these I will be in a line to get books signed. It has been a few years since my last Bouchercon, and I am excited to return.

Safe travels if you are making the journey to Southern California.

THURSDAY:
The Hungry Detective is now based in the greater Los Angles area. A scheduling error will cause me to miss most of Saturday. However, I will be there for all of Thursday, and I am thankful for the 11:30 am start because I am going to have to take the subway to Long Beach.

11:30-12:30 Regency C
No More Badge: Crime Solvers Who've Left the Badge Behind
George Easter (Moderator), Paul Doiron, David Housewright, John Lutz, Sean Lynch

I like cops. I like detectives. I like detectives that used to be cops because something horrible happened when the were cops. More importantly I like what I have read from Paul Doiron so far.

1:00-2:00 Regency A
Al Abramson Fan Guest of Honor
Interviewed by SJ Rozan & William Kent Kruger

How about we support one of our own? Come on! Lets do it!

Honorable Mention: Murder in the Locked Room: Solving the 'Perfect' Crime; Where Do You Like Your Violence? Spilling Blood on Page and Off.

FRIDAY:
I'll be staying at the Conference hotel tonight and tomorrow. Good times. I will be drinking brown liquor at many points today. Friday is a big day, lots of panels, and lots of tough choices.

8:30-9:30 Regency D
Collecting 101: Tips and Tricks from the Experts on Building Your Collection
Otto Penzler (Moderator) Al Abramson, Les Blatt, Bill Gottfried Tom O'Day, Donus Roberts

Like I need an excuse to buy more books. I'll be interested to see how the panel plays out. In the past this type of panel just turns into common sense advice about collecting what you like, etc. Hoping for actual secrets and insights.

10:00-11:00 Promenade 104B
Masters of Suspense in Conversation
Otto Penzler (Moderator), Mark Billingham, C.J. Box, David Morrell, Kate White


Suspense is the topic but I'm guessing Mark Billingham will be pretty funny. No pressure Mr. Billingham.



11:30-12:30 Regency B

Belfast Noir: stories of Mayhem and Murder in Northern Ireland
Peter Rozovsky (Moderator), Gerard Brennan, Paul Charles, Adrian McKinty, Stuart Neville


This is the panel I am looking forward to most, without a doubt. I hope the panel comes with subtitles.


1:30-2:30 Promenade 104C
Cadaver Dog Demonstration
with Catt Warren, Jan Frazee, Sandy Peavey

There is only one thing I like more than dogs and that is petting dogs. There better be a dog available for the previously mentioned petting.

Honorable Mention: Been There Wrote That: How Well Do They Know Their Own Work;  The Mean Streets of Los Angeles Crime through the Ages, Murder in the Great Outdoors.

SATURDAY
I'll miss all of the afternoon and evening due to work related issues. Mrs. Hungry Detective and I will run into Beverly Hills around 2 pm and be there until about 10 pm before we head back to Long Beach for a quick nightcap. Gutted to miss the Michael Connelly event. Not too sad to miss the hour long line to get books signed though.

11:30-12:30 Regency B
In the Wars: Mysteries Set in or Between the World Wars
David Magayna (Moderator) Aileen Baron, Carola Dunn, J Robert Janes, John Sandrolini, Charles Todd

11:30-12:30 Regency D
Small Town Murder: Bug Problems
Robin Burcell (Moderator), Deborah Atkinson, Mette Harrison, Frank Hayes, Karin Salvalaggio, Terry Shames

This will be a difficult choice as I am also interested in the Sherlock Holmes panel as well during this slot. I'm a fan both of these sub-genres. Game time decision.

Honorable Mention: Make Ours Noir: Why We Love the Genre.

SUNDAY
Recovery! Breakfast! I'll check the final Uber Guest of Honor panel at 11:30a, and maybe the Do You Write What You Know panel at 10a. However you are more likely to find me running around Long Beach for a donut and checking out the Queen Mary. In the afternoon I'll be waiting in line for a handful of rides at Disneyland. 

I hope everyone has a great Long Beach Bouchercon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of