Skip to main content

2014 Long Beach Bouchercon - Report

It is late on Sunday. A long, fun weekend and honestly I am exhausted. My recap of the 2014 Long Beach Bouchercon could wait until tomorrow. But why put off today what you will probably have to complete tomorrow or the next day. [Editor's Note: Probably?]

I had good luck with the panels this year. It amazes me that you throw a bunch of authors in a room and more often then not the panel works. I found myself in a number of panels this year where I either knew nothing of the author or only what I could glean while doing Amazon searchers for their books in the five minutes before the panel started. It works when it feels like it should fail more often. I do know that I have become selective in the panels I choose to attend. There was at least one panel session on Thursday and Friday I did not attend. There was only one panel that was a bust from the get go. For those little traumas I have long learned to follow the adage of life being too short. A quick, quiet exit is smart for all involved.

My biggest disappointment was Adrian McKinty's inability to attend the Conference. Author-wise many of the authors I read do not attend the conference. I was MIA when Michael Connelly put in his late Saturday appearance. I pinned a few hopes on Robert Crais being a last minute addition. No Dennis Lehane. [Editor's Note: Did he ever?] No Stephen Booth. No Sean Chercover, No Marcus Sakey, No James Lee Burke, No Craig Johnson. Mr. McKinty's absence was unavoidable . Long story short I was going no matter what. The drive from Hungry Detective headquarters to hotel lobby was 45 minutes. Seeing his name pop up on the list of attendees was a big highlight for me. Alas.... Get well soon Adrian.

Last week I devoted a few moments to make a list of books I would like to acquire. My moratorium on buying books that strayed outside the The Hungry Detective canon was set aside because it was unrealistic not too. This was my first Bouchercon in four years and my next will likely be Toronto in 2017. With all those books in one place I knew that at some point I would walk into the book room and break, to think otherwise would be...and was... foolish. Half the reason for me to sit in a panel is to be persuaded to immediately buy their book. I count it as a victory of self control that I only did that once with Allen Eskens' book THE LIFE WE BURY. Otherwise the book buying went, unexpectedly, to the purchase of seven books by Edward Marston. There is a longer story here that I might expand upon in another post. But without being too reductive, I got sucked into the spectacular dust jacket art for his books. His Doomsday Books are fantastic hence the reason I bought five. His International Guest of Honor panel was a highlight and in fact reinforced the decision to buy a number of books from an author I did not even know existed until last Thursday morning. That is the magic of Bouchercon right there. The discovery of an unknown author is a lovely secret when it reveals its self to you. The sun shines brighter on days when that happens.

So the book room. First I appreciate everything the booksellers do to get books to the show. They are good people and I am thankful for them all. There were two large dealers, Mysterious Galaxy from San Diego and Scene of the Crime Books from St. Catharines, Ontario that more or less supplied 80% of the books from attending authors. Mysterious Galaxy had more books, but Scene of the Crime had attractive UK editions. Of the twelve books I bought, five books came from those dealers. Scene of the Crime had a number of Edward Marston Railway series that tempted me, but at some point I went with Marston's Doomday series and that lead me to Mystery Mike. Mystery Mike has been my go to for books at Bouchercon for awhile. He supplies a curated selection of popular new books as well as an authors back catalog. He certainly helped me out on the Marston Doomsday books and had I wanted to lose all sense of propriety I could have made serious inroads on Marston's other series. My one mild surprise was that Book Carnival from just around the corner in Tustin did not have more of a presence in the room. They had a respectable but small table of exclusively new books. I just went to their store. I know they had the stock to be another back catalog dealer. It seemed like a missed opportunity, but maybe only to me.

Probably no secret that the book room is a big part of my Bouchercon experience. It is with this in mind that one of the more intriguing panels I attended was the Collecting 101 panel on Saturday Morning. While not being exactly what I wanted I could have listened to those guys talk about collecting for another hour and not even batted an eyelash. I hope future Conference organizers will consider this a viable stream for future Conferences in the way that Publisher/Editor/Agent panels serve an important function. If there was a panel a day that focused on the topic of collecting Crime Fiction you could have panels for years. I don't think this is my bias either.

Right. So it is Wednesday now. I will hit the publish button...so that I can further tweak the typos I find.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of