Skip to main content

Barry Award Nominations

Somewhat hot on the heals of the Edgar Nominations are the Barry Noms. And while the Edgar's will be announced at the end of April the Barry Awards will not given until the St. Louis Bouchercon in September! Yikes.

The Hungry Detective congratulates all of the nominees. 

Best Novel
NOWHERE TO RUN - C. J. Box - Putnam
CROOKED LETTER, CROOKED LETTER - Tom Franklin - Morrow
THE LOCK ARTIST - Steve Hamilton - Minotaur
MOONLIGHT MILE - Dennis Lehane - Morrow
BURY YOUR DEAD - Louise Penny - Minotaur
SAVAGES - Don Winslow - Simon & Schuster

Best First Novel
GUTSHOT STRAIGHT - Lou Berney - Morrow
ROGUE ISLAND - Bruce DeSilva - Forge
THE POACHER'S SON - Paul Doiron - Minotaur
SHERLOCKIAN - Graham Moore - Twelve
THE HOLY THIEF - William Ryan - Minotaur
ONCE A SPY - Keith Thomson - Doubleday

Best British Novel

STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG - Kate Atkinson - Doubleday
BLOOD HARVEST - S. J. Bolton - Bantam Press
THE WHISPERS - John Connolly - Hodder & Stoughton
THE WOODCUTTER - Reginald Hill - HarperCollins
THREE SECONDS - Roslund & Hellstrom - Quercus
FOURTH DAY - Zoe Sharp - Allison & Busby

Best Paperback Original
THE HANGING TREE - Bryan Gruley - Touchstone
THE DEAD LIE DOWN - Sophie Hannah - Penguin
EGGSECUTIVE ORDERS - Julie Hyzy - Berkley
FEVER AT THE BONE - Val McDermid - Harper
THE RHETORIC OF DEATH - Judith Rock - Berkley
A SMALL DEATH IN THE GREAT GLEN - A.D. Scott - Atria

Best Thriller
13 HOURS - Deon Meyer - Grove Atlantic
AMERICAN ASSASSIN - Vince Flynn - Atria
THE BRICKLAYER - Noah Boyd - Harper
BOLT ACTION - Charles Charters - Hodder U.K.
ON TARGET, Mark Greaney - Jove
THE REMBRANDT AFFAIR - Daniel Silva - Putnam

Best Short Story
Mitch Alderman - "Requiem for Antlers" - AHMM Jan.-Feb. 2010
Robert Barnard - "Family Values" - EQMM Feb. 2010
Caroline Benton - "The Body in the Dunes - EQMM Jan. 2010
Loren D. Estleman - "The List" - EQMM May 2010
Terence Faherty - "The Seven Sorrows" - EQMM Mar.-Apr. 2010
Ellen Larson - "When the Apricots Bloom" - AHMM July-Aug. 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...