Skip to main content

THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST - Review

I don't have the faintest idea of the internal machinations of Northern Ireland over the last 90 years. It is daunting particularly because the events are treated as sacrosanct. What I know falls into whatever THE CRYING GAME, MICHAEL COLLINS, SUNDAY, BLOODY, SUNDAY, HUNGER, and IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER have decided to tell me. It is an overwhelming historical event that intimidates rather than ingratiates the uneducated to come to some half-baked understanding of its causes. I mean is it trite to say that the whole thing is a mess and both sides have blood on their hands?

However, as a cultural and societal phenomenon Northern Ireland and the Troubles are terribly fertile grounds. Stuart Neville tries to tackle the whole bloody mess with THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST. Gerry Fegan is a button man, an assassin. When he was ordered to kill he did so with the understanding that he was helping to bring about a free Northern Ireland. But now it is years later. The younger generation is more interested in designer fashions and Starbucks then a 'free' Northern Ireland. Gerry Fagan is older now too. Truly haunted by the deaths he played a part, he is also under no illusions what his true role was in the struggle. A pawn in a petty contest of egos. Gerry Fagan is done. And for his final act he wants to bring about peace for the souls he took, the ghosts that follow him. He is a bringer of doom and an avenging angel. And if it all wasn't so captivating I would accuse Mr. Neville of wanting it both ways. It is an interesting play by the author as it is easy to see Gerry's retribution only as selfish act to expunge the horror he has created without taking responsibility for his direct involvement. A guilt ridden assassin who somehow forgets to kill the single most important person, himself, in his quest for absolution. It is the big question that is asked but not answered.

One of these days I'll decide if that fatally cripples the book, and the projected series, or not. What Mr. Neville does get right, and in spades, is that people are not just damned for the lies, cheating, stealing, and brutal murders they commit, but mainly they are damned for the corruption of their soul. THE GHOSTS OF BELFAST is a baptism, a rebirth of one man trying to freeing his soul.

Comments

Jared said…
Don't forget PATRIOT GAMES!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...