Skip to main content

FIFTY GRAND - Review

I'll admit that it was a difficult to say good-bye to Michael Forsythe. Over the course of three novels, DEAD I MAY WELL BE, THE DEAD YARD and THE BLOOMSDAY DEAD, Adrian McKinty crafted three fantastic stories and many wonderful characters. The books are bloody, gritty reads. They are the finest example of 21st Century Noir, and along with his first stand alone HIDDEN RIVER, without peer.

FIFTY GRAND is the latest and greatest from Mr. McKinty, and it does a lot to ease my anxiety over the loss Mr. Forsythe. 50K is a revenge story played out in the rich enclave of Fairview Colorado. A Cuban Police Officer masquerades as an illegal alien to discovery who killed her long absent father. As plot outlines go, this is pretty spare, but with some books it really is about the journey.

Strangely more fascinating than the revenge story is the Alexis de Tocquville-like examination of American society by the protagonist Officer Mercado. Through out the book Officer Mercado expresses complete ignorance and/or bafflement over American celebrity culture and all that follows it. From an American character and by extension an American author this kind of commentary usually comes off as a patronizing snobbery that only serves to undercut the message of how screwed our priorities really have become. Maybe with my lifetime subscription to the middle class I find these cultural explorations more an examination of class where no matter the 'good intentions' usually end up with the author looking down their long nose at lesser beings.

That is not to say that Mr. McKinty, as a non-American, should be given a pass. But certainly as a non-American the seeming naivete of Mr McKinty's study of U.S. culture can be accepted more on face value without the immediate expectation of a hidden agenda in posing questions like; 'Why do we care about so much about Tom Cruise and Scientology?'

Whatever may draw you to FIFTY GRAND it is a cracking good read. I'm guessing I'm not going to read anything better this year.

Comments

adrian mckinty said…
Dan

Thanks for the yup ya.

And BTW as of June 2008 I'm an American citizen so we can level that moralising shotgun at me too.

And hey I dont think I quite let Cuban society off the hook did I?

Anyway I didnt really want this to be an indictment of the US as such, more of a tweak of a particular place at a particular time namely Telluride, Colorado and the eccentric characters who lived there in 2007-2008.

Slainte

Adrian...
Dan Wagner said…
Its a great book Adrian so I was happy to write about it. I don't think you let the Cuban's off the hook at all, but I was definitely at odds with the depiction of Cuba. Primarily because it is the 'forbidden.' The exotic usually trumps the indictment for me. I know it is very naive for me to say but because the US has so clearly 'won' the battle with Cuba I look at that place as strangely provincial.

Congrats on the US Citizenship, I can now wish you Happy 4th of July!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...