Skip to main content

The end is nigh...

The end of the year is nigh, and there are a few books left to read. I have been focusing on 2008 releases for the last month... month and half, and I am about to call it quits. I am past the half way point on The Black Dove, and after that I will gut, clean and kill Michael Connelly's and Robert Crais's 2008 entries. I tend to read both authors very quickly, so I think I'll be able close out 2008 with Easy Rawlins's swan song, Blonde Faith. The Hungry Detective will be visiting Walnut Creek, California for Christmas, and the second Wallander book will accompany me. No matter what around the new year I'll be taking a break from reading... just a couple weeks. The beginning of the year will see me knock off a few more of the Ross Macdonald books that have been purchased.. but not blogged about... in the recent weeks.

In anticipation of creating a 'best of' list I publish the list of all the books I read this year. Books in red were released in the US this year.

Some Danger - Will Thomas
Cinnamon Kiss - Walter Mosley
Buried - Mark Billingham
At the City's Edge - Marcus Sakey
The Accident Man - Tom Cain
The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo
The Mark - Jason Pinter
The Guilty - Jason Pinter
Who is Conrad Hirst - Kevin Wignall
The Song is You - Megan Abbott
The Anatomy of Deception - Lawrence Goldstone
Body Scissors - Michael Simon
Pipsqueak - Brian Wiprud
Super Spy - Matt Kindt
Vices of My Blood - Maureen Jennings
Severance Package - Duane Swierczynski
In the Moon of the red Ponies - JL Burke
Crusader's Cross - JL Burke
The Evil that Men Do - Dave White
A Welcome Grave - Michael Koryta
Cold Granite - Stuart MacBride
Silent Joe - T. Jefferson Parker
Hell Hole - Chris Grabenstein
The Dead Place - Stephen Booth
The Stolen - Jason Pinter
Trigger City - Sean Chercover
Have Mercy on Us All - Fred Vargas
The Bookman's Last Fling - John Dunning
The Overlook - Michael Connelly
Silence of the Grave - Arnaldur Indridason
The Janissary Tree - Jason Goodwin
Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell
The Given Day - Dennis Lehane
The Doomsters - Ross Macdonald
The Amateur Spy - Dan Fesperman
The Watchman - Robert Crais
Envy the Night - Michael Koryta
Good People - Marcus Sakey
The Black Dove - Steve Hockensmith
The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly
Chasing Darkness - Robert Crais
Seeking Whom He May Devour - Fred Vargas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...