Skip to main content

Lots of Little Things - Pt. 2

Well back at it. I still have two more posts on tap before I will be caught up. Nose to the grindstone.

Super Spy - Matt Kindt
This is the graphic novel I mentioned in my last post. And I loved it. The book is a collection of about 25 or so shorts stories that are interconnected. Presented out of order, they can be read in order with a little patience and some code deciphering. All of this reminded me of the great Alan Furst or the fantastic Jean-Pierre Melville film Army of Shadows. Super Spy is easily the equal of those examples. Spying for country, spying for conscious, spying for love, spying out of fear. A thrilling, mess. Wonderfully sad. The dialog is teasingly, maddeningly spare. The artwork frequently diverges from the typical comic style and is GORGEOUS from the first panel. Super Spy is the best thing I have read this year! And the best news yet, Super Spy is the follow up to the similarly themed Two Sisters.

Vices of My Blood - Maureen Jennings
Toronto before the turn of the last century was a pretty foul and brutal place if you looked down the right streets. I have written before that I think the adventures of William Murdoch is the best historical series out there, and Vices of My Blood proves it again. A Priest is dead, murdered with a letter opener in his neck. The wife? a lover?, a rival? Blood, jealousy, and little bit of chaste sex make this a very nice read. This might be my favorite of the series. The detail that Ms. Jennings provides is so good, so rich, I could see it. Dusty drawing rooms. Cramped tenement apartments. Filthy workhouses. Wonderful prose.

I have one more book to review. Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski. I'll save that for its own post in a few days. But first is a little commentary on the recent spate of Crime Fiction nomination that made the rounds earlier this month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...