Skip to main content

Edgar Report 2008

The Edgars got handed out last night and once again THD was not in attendance. Forgive the quick digression because it is one that I feel that I have made before.

At this point in the life of the internet and the invaluable tool it has become for all things Crime Fiction, I am incredulous that that the MWA can't post video highlights of the Award Ceremony. I don't need the whole show (although I'd be cool with that too), just the winner and the little speech they may provide would be wonderful content for the MWA website. I'll take the less cynical route and write that this probably has been discussed and shot down to due certain rights and author release issues.

Excuse me for a moment while I get off my high horse and take off these chaps. Ok. All better.

I've listed the four the categories that I covered in depth on Sunday. Winners are in red. The Complete list of winners is here.

Best Novel
Christine Falls by Benjamin Black
Priest
by Ken Bruen
The Yiddish Policemen's Union
by Michael Chabon
Soul Patch by Reed Farrel Coleman
Down River
by John Hart

John was nominated last year in the Best First Novel Category so he seems to have Edgar's number. And it was for this reason I had Down River as the second favorite. However, I thought if Soul Patch was not going to win voters would turn to Priest, but then again what do I know if I can't even trust my own odds.

Best First Novel by an American Author

Missing Witness by Gordon Campbell
In the Woods
by Tana French
Snitch Jacket
by Christopher Goffard
Head Games
by Craig McDonald
Pyres
by Derek Nikitas

On Sunday I wrote that the In the Woods seemed the safe bet and as luck would have it I was right. I think I also gave the slight impression that the only reason it was nominated was that the book had a healthy PR push. I do think this book received the largest push, but it also received some pretty wonderful reviews.

Best Paperback Original
Queenpin
by Megan Abbott
Blood of Paradise
by David Corbett
Cruel Poetry
by Vicki Hendricks
Robbie's Wife
by Russell Hill
Who is Conrad Hirst?
by Kevin Wignall

I felt this was the strongest of all of the categories, and the toughest call. I am happy that Queenpin won, but I am also really bummed that Corbett or Wignall missed out in this category.

Best Motion Picture Screen Play

Eastern Promises
, Screenplay by Steven Knight
The Lookout
, Screenplay by Scott Frank
Michael Clayton
, Screenplay by Tony Gilroy
No Country for Old Men
, Screenplay by Coen Bros., based on the book by Cormac McCarthy
Zodiac
, Screenplay by James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith

I felt the No Country juggernaut would pick this award up as well, but no Tony Gilroy for Michael Clayton are this year's recipient. I wanted Zodiac, but I am hardly disappointed that Michael Clayton picked up this award. If memory serves Zodiac was No. 3 on my Top ten and Michael Clayton was No. 4.

I successfully picked Young Adult and Young Juvenile. And in the close but no cigar category, I wanted to pick Reclaiming History for Best Fact Crime, but felt the book was just not timely.

Congratulations to all the winners. Enjoy your moment in the sun!

Finally, I just want to thank The Rap Sheet for the plug earlier in the week. It is always fun to see my Google analytic numbers spike!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...