Skip to main content

The Redbreast - Review

I can not confirm if I am just making this up in my own head or not, but a poll conducted in Norway ranked this the best crime novel of all time! Now a quick search on the Googler should confirm or repudiate this story. I like the idea of living under this illusion, so I have not gone back to check the accuracy of this statement. The idea that I have read the best that Norwegian Crime Fiction has to offer sets up a tantalizing criteria.

Collaboration is a an ugly word in the history of WWII, particularly if the you sided with the Germans. I am not capable of providing the dear readers of this humble blog with a lucid history of Norway in WWII, but I think it is enough to say that Norway has a troubling history in regards to their Nazi occupation.

Jo Nesbo both embraces and keeps this history at an arms length. Our villain is a soldier of that war who fought with the Germans, but he is also a pitiably character who could not control many of the events he played apart in. He is a marionette of the German machine and in the end his own fractured mind.

Harry Hole is Nesbo's gruff and grumpy hero. A well drawn character that certainly is able to pull you into his world. There is a particular passage in the book that plays out exclusively through phone messages left on an answer machine. It is devastating way to expose Harry's guilt and sorrow.

The central mystery is Hole's discovery that a black market rifle has been purchased. But this is no ordinary rifle as Hole instructs the reader, this weapon is favored by hunters for exclusively human targets. The story plays out well even though the opening passages are compromised by a few too many capricious flashbacks and flash forwards. The ending is undermined as well by interspersing the assassin's diary into the climatic action of the book. There is fascinating detail in these parts. However, the reader does little to earn this information, and because of it the impact of the assassins story is lessened.

I think the good outweighs the bad in this book, primarily because the good is really terrific. I would have no trouble recommending this book to anyone as an effective blend of historical and police procedural crime fiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...