Skip to main content

The Accident Man - Review

Well, I think I have alluded in a previous post that Lee Child blurbing your crime related thriller had reach epidemic proportions. The L.C. blurb that accompanies The Accident Man is "Audacious, authentic, full of tension and tradecraft... a great thriller read." Audacious, I guess, because of the too soon aspect of Diana, and possibly for the fact in the context of the book the author is asking you to root for the murderer of the most famous person ever.

So I approached this book with great trepidation, and early on I felt the sinking sensation of a thriller that starts with... at least a very interesting idea... and has absolutely no follow though. But once we are in the clear of the act the book turns into a very surprising read. I enjoyed the hell out of this book from about the 100 page mark. Cynically, I could say why even use the salaciousness of Diana being murdered, but it is a great hook.

Our Accident Man, Carver, and his Russian accomplice, Alix, are well developed characters with back stories that are teased out during the routine action of the book. As a fan of series characters I hope Mr. Cain brings them back (he is), but given how the book ends that is in some doubt. Indeed how he leaves our leads is the most surprising aspect of the book. One minor grip is the by now over used cliche of the vile Russian Mobster. This book is lousy with them and after while their generic menace just gets in the way.

I look forward his next book The House of War.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...