Skip to main content

Fall Preview 2007

Well, put away your white shoes and get ready for the onslaught of Fall books. Once you have finished here you can head over to The Rap Sheet to check out their Fall Preview.

Noble Lies - Charles Benoit
Think globally, act locally is an axiom THD tries follows as often as it can. Charles is a local author who has two previous globe trotting mystery novels to his credit. We have read his first, and enjoyed it greatly, his second is mired in our to be read pile.

Voices - Arnaldur Indridason
Already released in the UK, this is the third book in a long series that is just now seeing release in the English language. Moody and dank. The first US release, Jar City also has been made into a film. You can check out a trailer here. Sorry no English subtitles.

The Lighthouse War - Adrian McKinty
Second in the Lighthouse Trilogy, this is a series of young adult fiction by the writer of Hidden River and Dead I May Well Be. I think this guy is the real deal. Epic writing that proves that you should feel no shame when you reading crime fiction. My sister read the first book, The Lighthouse Land, and reports really liking it.

Blonde Faith - Walter Mosley
The truly great Walter Mosley continues one of the great crime fiction series of ALL-TIME. Thats right, I just used all cap. THD is glad to be alive at the same time as Mr. Mosley.

Patriot Acts - Greg Rucka
Rucka is a well loved author that THD is very interested in. I read Keeper more than a few years ago. I remember liking it a great deal, but never followed through with any of the following Atticus Kodiak adventures or his standalones or comics.

Second Shot - Zoe Sharp
I have heard people rave to the point of lunacy about this author. Well established in the UK, it would appear she is bring groomed to take on the likes of Cornwell, Evanovich, etc.

So there it is, a tight little list. We are already curating titles for our Winter List, so look for that just after Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...