Skip to main content

Recent Purchases

About a week ago I managed to get in on Dunn and Powell Books latest sale. About 25% of the list was 30% off, the rest of 50% off.

I ordered 6 books. One was not available. James Lee Burke's In the Electric Mist of Confederate Dead. They wanted $10 for it and at 50% off it is a great deal. Even at $10 it was a great deal, so not real surprised that it was gone. I wished that D&P updated the list , but minor quibble.

The books showed up today. Nothing like a package on the porch when you come home from work.

So...... The Dry White Tear by Stephen F. Wilcox. Some bumps to the DJ that I wish were not there cuz I know I could probably get a better copy else where for not much more but I'm ok with it

Next, The Dark Room by Minette Walters. Black DJ means any scuffs come through like it was dragged on ground by your two year old. Again cheap so no biggie there.

I got Pacific Beat by T. Jefferson Parker and The Horse Latitudes by Robert Ferrigno. Pacific Beat has a previous owners book plate in it. Nothing says I love books by pasting a ridiculous book plate in it. Both titles are early for these authors so I am glad to have them. And again they were cheap.

The last book is a another Minette Walters'. The Scold's Bridle is her third book and it was one that I did not like very much. So why did I buy it? You clearly do not know me.

The book was described as 'fine'. It is not. According to the D&P website 'fine' is described as approaching new lacking some crispness The DJ has a rip on the lower back fold, about 1/4 inch in length which drops it down to very good...... at best.

I'm a stickler. I can send it back, and get my five bucks returned. No big whoop. And given the size of the sale, over 2500 books, I'm sure they missed on the description of a few books. What irks me just slightly is that when they pulled the book for shipment I wish they had emailed me to say the condition was less than described. Maybe at five bucks they figured they didn't need too. I was getting a good deal anyway you looked at it. That is not a very charitable viewpoint, and in any case..... as I have said.... the book was only five bucks.

I'll slap a book cover on it and call it a day. I'll just have to remember to keep an eye on the description for future purchases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...