Skip to main content

Recent Purchases - 2/10/2022

At some point in the last year Barnes and Noble got interested in selling Crime Fiction. The last four Barnes & Noble in four different cities and in two different states I browsed now have large displays that feature Crime Fiction. For years Crime Fiction was shoe horned between Sci-Fi and the General Fiction section. Usually buried in the back half of the store taking up only 2 or 3 shelves with only meager hardcover availability. Now in 3 of the 4 stores I visited there was a large U-Shaped section encompassing 16-20 shelves. In all cases there were dozens of hardcover offerings. It looked great to see that much variety and it certainly spurred the purchase of the three books below.

So after not buying from Barnes and Noble for the last handful of years...save for the most desperate circumstances...I think I might have to reconsider. Anyway these are my recent purchases.

THE MAID - Nita Prose

I went from definitely getting this, to not getting this, to putting a hold at the Library for this, to buying this in about a 48 hour period. I am a Crime Fiction reader of simple pleasures. I need a dead body. And if that dead body is in an English manor with Upstairs/Downstairs shenanigans all the better. But I dislike the GMA sticker, hence the hesitation. It undoes a striking and simple cover. I understand the marketing need, I do. But I would rather have a banner text than this intrusive faux stamp. The branding here just clashes too much.

 THE APPEAL - Janice Hallett

Author's first was released in the U.S. as her second, THE TWYFORD CODE, was arriving in the UK. Lots of praise for this tightly constructed whodunit with an inventive story structure. Not sure how this got on the radar other than UK set Crime Fiction always gets extra consideration.

FIVE DECEMBERS - James Kestrel

A 2022 Edgar nominee and blurbed by a number of authors I love to read. I finally caved to buying this book after picking it up and putting it down a handful of times. I followed the Hard Case Crime books pretty well in their early days. I actively bought the first 20-25 books. The plethora of people calling this an all-timer though won the day.

A quick [Editor's Note: No it is not] bit about Independent Booksellers: I buy independent, when I can. I live in Los Angeles but the closest dedicated Crime Fiction store is not close, as in not in Los Angles County the largest County by population in the United States. There is a wonderful independent store in my neighborhood, but their Crime Fiction is meager, snobbish, and with a healthy tilt to translated Euro titles. I started buying from Poisoned Pen because it supports an Independent and they get a wealth of signed books. But in a one year period more than half of my purchases either had the wrong book or a book not signed that should have been.  Of course I can order any book I want from any store I want...and if you want to wag your finger at me and tsk tsk here you go... because I have no interest in doing that as it relates to Crime Fiction. I have my reasons... condition reasons, timing reasons, social anxiety reasons and I feel like I do enough in other areas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...