Skip to main content

The Hungry Detective Plan for 2021

Somethings I'm working on...

George Smiley

John le CarrĂ©, David Cornwell, passed away on December 12, 2019. At that point I had only read one of his books, his last, AGENT RUNNING IN THE FIELD. I have watched the Alec Guinness version of TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER SPY a number of times, and in real terms that series haunts me. It is unceasingly melancholy. There is a something special about a piece entertainment weather a book, a movie, or television show that can reach that deep sense of sadness and still be thrilling and wonderful. 

I started the year with CALL OF THE DEAD (1961), his first, and his first George Smiley. I look forward to the rest.

Billy Boyle

I take great enjoyment in the Progressive - Don't Be Your Parents series of commercials. One of the early ones was Dr. Rick gently asking a young man who is reading a book about submarines about who else reads books about submarines. In a resigned sigh the young man says "My dad..." Now funny enough, but that exchange is not what clinches the joke for me as being funny. It is the fact that the young guy is also wearing his Members only windbreaker inside the house.

I love wearing my jacket inside the house, Mrs. Hungry Detective comments constantly that I should take my coat off inside the house and for that reason I am going to starting reading James R. Benn's Billy Boyle books.

Slow Horses

If my interest in Crime Fiction has developed in a specific direction it has been to espionage. Mick Herron has been writing the Slow Horses series for over a decade and his latest, SLOUGH HOUSE was just released. It really spurred me to read this series with the anticipation of buying that new book.

One of the things that I have to embrace in the new reality of not having an overwhelming pile of books to read is the library. Just because I like a book does not mean I have to buy the book. This runs antithetical to how I have approached my reading interest in Crime Fiction going back to... ya know... forever. 

In the case of the Mick Herron it makes no sense to buy Book 6 when I am not likely to read it for several months. The only way to break old habits to create new ones.

Jackson Brodie

LEFT EARLY, TOOK MY DOG. Sometimes all it takes is a title. Five words to create an entire world in my head.

I don't read enough female authors, not by a long shot. Only Laurie R. King is in my regular cannon. I read Megan Abbott's first 5, all of them wonderful, and then none after. The same with Minette Walters. Read her first six, then nothing. My memory here is that I did not connect with THE BREAKER and never really considered reading the next book. I've read one Laura Lippman, WHAT THE DEAD KNOW, nothing else. This despite owning the first 3 Tess books in paperback, bought them at the time of release. Never read them.

Laura Lippman has a few to many books for me to tackle right now, but with Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie one images I could make a dent before we kick 2021 to the curb.

Classics

I have an odd notion to read a few of the classic I missed in High School or College. For some reason THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV is the hill I will die on for my desire to read the 'classics'. This despite not knowing until this moment that KARAMAZOV is a murder mystery!? Anyway knocking off a MOBY DICK or an ANNA KARENINA seems like a good way to spend part of 2021. Plus, I don't mind reading them over a long period of time while I'm on my normal bs.

Current Read
A MURDER OF QUALITY - John le Carré
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...