Skip to main content

Sunday Catch Up

About every 18 months I pull all the books off the shelves and set to reorganize them. The shelves are deep so most are doing double duty with an unseen layer behind the more respectable titles. Anyway it is time, but it is already afternoon on a Sunday so it will have to wait another for weekend. I also wonder when we stopped indenting the first word of a paragraph. Maybe we haven't...

     A couple years ago I wanted to read through my To Be Read pile so that I had more freedom in my reading and by extension buying of books. As of right now.... hang on I have to go into the other room to count them...

     22. I'm need to buy 4-5 books to maintenance a couple authors I read, plus the inevitable 4-5 books that normally release in the first half of the year. Still, I feel in better shape than I have for a number of years. On the positive side I am excited to read most of the books awaiting me. I really buckled down at the end of 2019 to read some of the stragglers and let go of a few books that I knew I would never get too. The twin goal for the year is to read the books I buy in 2020 and to cut the TBR pile to the low teens.

     In other news I have plans to go to Sacramento Bouchercon in October. It will be my first since Long Beach. I'm looking forward to it. It will be good to see what is new in the field, maybe pick up a new author or two. I had anticipated heading down the road to Left Coast in San Diego this year. I decide to pass given a couple factors. One being my aforementioned attendance to Bouchercon, one con is probably more than my financial situation will support. Secondly Mick Heron will be in Albuquerque for 2021, and I am down to buy all of Mick's work next year in the book room.

    Recently finished up GM Ford's SALVATION LAKE. It was great to reconnect with a series I like and author who I think is quite talented. I picked up two more his titles and will spend the balance of the next couple weeks knocking them down.

Current Read: FAMILY VALUES - GM Ford
TBR Pile: 22...ish 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...