Skip to main content

Running Down a Dream... of a shorter TBR pile.

The last time I chimed in about a book was THE SHADOWS WE HIDE. So here is everything I have read since then.

THE KILLING HABIT - Mark Billingham
Wait....the last time I chimed in about a book was THE KILLING HABIT. Anyway, the latest, THEIR LITTLE SECRET, is coming on June 4th. I am v. excited about this book. [Editors Note: Sorry about the usage of 'v. excited.']

WALT FOR SIGNS - Craig Johnson
A book wanted to love but only liked. My issue is with the form, more than the writing. Set-up, punchline, out. Their inherent briefness is somehow not satisfying particularly for characters that I love to see and hang with. Extra points though for the evocative wintery setting of many of the pieces.

THE HIGHWAYMAN - Craig Johnson
A ghost story that I read way to fast. Mr. Johnson is a wonderful writer for place and mood, and with a ghost story, I feel like you need to savor that writing. Read a chapter or two over the course of many nights right before bed. Instead, I read it on a plane while continually was trying to figure how to move around in my seat so I wouldn't touch shoulders with the person next to me. Pretty sure this is not the environment to read this or any book.

THE DROP - Dennis Lehane
I saw the movie many years ago now and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was not surprised when the movie did not catch on with audiences. I felt the solid direction could have been uplifted by a better director in the Sidney Lumet vain. The book was just as satisfying, primarily for its ability to remind me of early Dennis Lehane.

HOW IT HAPPENED - Michael Koryta
All the pieces are certainly present for another winner from Mr. Koryta, but I found the third act just too convoluted. I wanted something a bit cleaner and more direct. This not to say the book is a loss, Mr. Koryta does not write bad books. [Editor's Note: Great cover blurb there Michael if you need it.]

THE MIDDLEMAN - Olen Steinhauer
In the acknowledgment section at the end, Mr. Steinhauer details the 5-year journey the book took from pen to publication. The book morphed a lot. I was at a signing where I think he spoke about the books as a novel about environmental/eco-terrorism which THE MIDDLEMAN certainly is not. I could obviously be misremembering the whole thing. In any case, the book never took off for me. I certainly appreciated the tight opener that time jumps into the rest of the book. But the back half of the book is just one too many flashbacks to scenes from that first section. Any forward momentum in the latter sections of the book felt neutered because of it.

All of this has gotten the TBR to 25 books. Woot! Woot! I celebrated this accomplishment by buying a bag of Hostess Donnetts at Walgreens on my way to work this morning. Sadly this will not last for too awful long. I keep a wishlist on Amazon partially to remember things I am interested in, but mainly to keep me updated about the books I need to buy. [Editor's Note: I wish there was a filter to sort this list by release date, but I guess that would be weird as things like toothpaste don't have release dates.] I looked over the list there are 4 books from authors I read out right now plus new Billingham and Ellroy on June 4. Further muddying the waters are a few outstanding books I am missing to continue with a couple of series, notably Stephen Booth, and Edward Marston. Still, this last spate of reading has given me a good amount of confidence to bring the TBR down to a number in the low 20's by year's end. 

I'm gonna eat 1 or 4 of those donuts now. 

Currently Reading: SHADOW OF THE HANGMAN - Edward Marston
To Be Read: 25 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...