Skip to main content

The To Be Read Project

[Editor's Note: It has been a minute. I realize. When last we spoke I had several posts planned, even written. All I needed to do was push the publish button and there would have been fresh content to keep the blog... relevant....maybe too strong a word, but still. Anyway time passed, maybe one day I can salvage some of it. Today, however, forward]

At the height I had no idea how many books I needed to read. There was a sinking feeling that I would never read most of them. I entertained notions that in the next house the spare room would become a library, but the next house turned into a one bedroom apartment. Putting them in storage probably meant a future of water damage from all and mold for most.

The decision making process was ruthless. Things I never read and who didn't belong to an author I was not currently reading went. Aborted series, disappointing stand-alones, and flyers taken on overstock tables at booksellers all went out the door and into the local library.

Over three hundred. The to be read pile dropped precipitously.

With all those books, then and now. I don't get a rush out of it. Right now I have 45 books in the queue and I am always undone about it. And whether it is 40 or 400 the next book always looms. On occasions I look at them and think, at some point I won't read these books because, ya know, I'll die.

Two things about that. 1. Yikes, get some therapy. 2.) First world problems.

Well, yes and yes, but we all worry about something. This is that something for me.Or at least the something I want to do something about.

The plan is to get the too be read pile down to less than 2-3 books. Why not zero? Well it doesn't seem realistic. I buy 8-12 books a year. Some books I read in a weekend, some take a few weeks. A natural backlog will develop. Although I suppose I could exercise a bit of self control and only buy books when the aforementioned shelf is bare, but lets not get ridiculous....

The time frame I am giving myself to complete this project is December of 2018. Why this date? Mainly because it feels  a long way off, but reasonably close to hopefully spur a bit of a competition within myself.  I did find a website that could calculate this date and it gave me March 2020. Ugh. I'll need to be a bit quicker than that. My best year as a reader was 50 books and that was exhausting. So a little less than two years to read what is going to be about 70 books....the to be read pile plus the books I will buy between now and then.

I've neglected The Hungry Detective. I hope to rekindle it, but no promises. I'll post about the books, maybe a review, or a little something about my connection to the book or author. I like crime fiction, and I would like to try writing about it again.

So the first book is THE HEAVENS MAY FALL by Allen Eskens. It's his third book. Loved his first, completely forgot his second. Hope to report more soon.

Comments

Good to see you back in the blogging chair!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...