Skip to main content

Recent Purchases and General Mysteries

Back in April I picked up the last two missing Dave Robicheaux books, Heaven's Prisoners and A Morning for Flamingos, for the collection. I feel like this is an oft to told tale, but that may just be for Mrs. Hungry Detective. However in regards to Heaven's Prisoners I thought I would have comfortably owned this book fifteen years ago. Back in the nascent days of the collection that book along with Neon Rain were the most expensive books I could have purchased. It was 1995, and  I had yet to really dig into Crime Fiction in a serious way. The only other authors I bought regularly were John Grisham, Walter Mosely and Clive Cussler. I had just picked up the first two Dennis Lehane books, and Michael Connelly and Robert Crais were a year or so away for being read for the first time. Neon Rain  turned out to be the most expensive book I bought until two years ago when I bought Michael Connelly's The Black Echo with blue rebate band.

When I bought Neon Rain I was a buyer of books. Not a collector. Firing up Ebay and trolling all 8 pages of books in the 'Mystery' section does not a collector make. Spending money, even a lot of money as I did on Neon Rain, is perhaps the easiest criteria to describe oneself as a collector, and the most deceptive. The bar is low even if the financial expenditure is high. I would have called myself a collector then. Now I see that I was not. I was a buyer of books, an enthusiast. It was not until recently that a definition of what a collector is came into my mind. A collector to me has little to do with the money you spend on the object of ones affection nor the time enjoying that object. Like most things in my adult world being a collector is all about the work, and not the reward...in this case the procuring and enjoyment of a Crime Fiction novels.

One of the best panels I attend at the 2014 Long Beach Bouchercon was a Friday morning panel about the nature of book collecting. [Editor's Note: If anyone on the Programing Committee for Raleigh and Toronto should ever read this....PLEASE I strongly urge you make the Collecting panel a yearly part of the Conference.] One of the panelists right off the bat took what I thought at the time was broad swipe at the general audience....by which I mean those who buy a lot of Crime Fiction .... and said that those people by in large are not collectors. I thought it was a dig at the time, a bit of cheap shot. Nobody like to be told what they are not particularly when we have our own internal monologue for that. My almost immediate second response was to not take offense because the perceived condescension of that comment doesn't really exist. One is one thing and one is another. Pitting a crime fiction enthusiast against a crime fiction collector is a pointless comparison, because one is under the impression that both should be too busy enjoying crime fiction to really care what the other thinks.

As to the nuts and bolts of the acquisition.... Flamingos arrived a little dinged but a new cover hides the small tear. I 'm fine with it. Heaven's Prisoners is essentially flawless. I have spent the better part of decade and half looking for this book. A couple things about that. I bought this copy for just about the same amount that I purchased Neon Rain, and feel very lucky to do so. The other thing speaks more to the metaphysical nature of what happens when one goes on a journey. The 1996-97 version of me would have told you that I would have Heaven's Prisoners  in my possession in within a year or two. The moment I could manage to scrap enough money together is in fact the the day I would buy it. But that is not what happened. So much has happened since then, and a part of that was this easy baggage of having to buy this book. We acquire and shed responsibilities like this most of our lives, but almost never to pay respect to the end of things. The book is a book. I read it years ago. I enjoyed. I even watched the movie. But for as long as I own that book, for as long as it sits on the shelf that book will be more than just the continuing adventures of Dave Robicheaux. The aura that surrounds that book will be the continuing adventures of The Hungry Detective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of