Skip to main content

The Big Four and the Gorey

Here is my Top Five list. This is not a hard and fast list. The full list is 30 books, and of those these are the ones I would be the most excited to acquire.

1. Heaven's Prisoners - James Lee Burke
Second Dave Robicheaux book and surprisingly not that bad of a movie. I picked up Neon Rain a long time ago and have failed on many occasions to pull the trigger on this one. This all comes down to cost and availability. The book has always been around $175-$200 for as long as I can remember. Secondarily the book is usually a pretty easy find at a show, because the modern fiction dealer will usually carry it as their nod to the genre. Still I need to do this soon. The cheaper price point means I'll probably pick this up before Lullaby Town.

 2. Lullaby Town - Robert Crais
'Scarce third novel by author' is the phrase most associated with this novel. Something about libraries buying up much of the first edition. I want to say I used to know. It is far and away the most expensive book in his canon. His first two don't even come close. Luckily its a great book. Where I am kind of lukewarm on his first two Lullaby Town killed. Until recently I saw this book going for over $500. Maybe I get lucky, but probably gonna pay $450-550.

3. The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie R. King
Second book for the author and first in the Mary Russell series. I recall this book being quite expensive at one point. Only recently have I hunted down a price and found to be in the $175-$200 range which is great. Perhaps I am confusing this with her first, A Grave Talent, a book which is dauntingly priced near $500. The book pops up on occasion, especially at Bouchercon where Ms. King is frequent attendant.  

This is a monolithic book for me. It is in my personal top 5. With A Firing Offense and Nick's Trip I could recognize the greatness of the author. Richly detailed with depressingly wonderful prose, but I failed to connect with either book on an emotional level. This book gutted me. I think it of it so often. I see this book infrequently, so this book maybe on the list for awhile. In fact I can see a time where this list is comprised solely of books by Mr. Pelecanos.

The Loathsome Couple - Edward Gorey
There are a bunch of important Gorey's to me, too many to name. So picking The Loathsome Couple is really no more than a place holder. I don't mean to damn it with faint praise. It is described as macabre even by Edward Gorey standards, so it is not without merit. Probably not the next Gorey I will get but maybe the next Gorey I will be the most excited to acquire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...