Skip to main content

Our Choice Selections Bouchercon 2010 - Part 1

The program for this year's San Francisco Bouchercon has been released. Loyal readers... if there are any of you left... know that for the past two years I have picked what I think is the best of the panels during the run of the 'Con. This is in no way to disparage any of the other panels. Every panel is a good one.

Normally the picks coincide with what The Hungry Detective anticipates on seeing himself.  But this year it is not to be. I am already breathless for Bouchercon 2011 in St Louis.

This post is in two parts. Today I'll cover Thursday and Friday. I'll cover Saturday and Sunday in a follow up post  in the next day or so. Also look for my predictions for the many awards that will be presented during the run of the 'Con. Those probably won't appear until the Tuesday or Wednesday before Bouchercon begins.

Thursday 10am - 11am
MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED
Our favorite books – fan/reviewer panel

Ali Karim(M), Chris Aldrich, Sarah Byrne, Janet Rudolph, Andi Shechter

I'm always on the look out for good books. Your moderator, Ali Karim, is famously one of the first people to trumpet Steig Larrson.

Thursday 11:30am - 12:30pm
DEAD OR ALIVE
Making stories come alive in crime fiction.

Jen Forbus(M), Brad Parks, R. J. Ellory,Hilary Davidson, Douglas Corleone

I've seen Mr. Ellory a couple times now, and he always strikes me as thoughtful on the art and craft of crime fiction. Second choice would be the 'Hall of Mirrors' panel.

Thursday 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Jacqueline Winspear interviews Toastmaster Eddie Muller.

Mr. Muller is one of the pre-eminent writers on all things Noir. This is the first heartache for The Hungry Detective. Dang....

Thursday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
THE YEAR OF THE LOCUSTS
Books to screen

Kelli Stanley(M), Derek Haas, Paul Levine, Val McDermid, Ken Bruen

Second choice here would be 'A Good Cop...But' Matt Hilton is on that panel. I have his first book, and his second just released here in the States. Seemed like a pretty cool dude when I saw him at the Indy B'Con. The 'Stamp of Death' looks good too. 

Thursday 4:30pm - 5:30pm
THE MOST DEADLY SPECIES
Women protagonists

Cornelia Read(M), Tasha Alexander, Meredith Anthony, Larry Light, Ronald Tierney, Keith Raffel

I don't read nearly enough Crime Fiction written by and about women. My loss.

Friday 8:30am - 9:30am
THE HARD BREED
Beyond novels: Authors who write more than just novels

Jeremy Lynch(M), Gregg Hurwitz, Duane Swierczynski, Robert Ward, Lou Berney, Hal Ackerman

Two word: ROBERT WARD! I love this guy. Love him! Plus Duane and Lou Berney. If a couple fist fights don't break out during this panel it will be a failure.

Friday 10:00am - 11:00am
LICENSE TO KILL
A Frank and Unscripted Conversation with #1 New York Times Bestselling Authors Robert Crais and David Baldacci

Brutal session. Too many to chose from. Seeing Bob Crais, means you will miss Mark Billingham, Barry Eisler, SJ Rozan at a panel called 'The Glass Dart Board'. Plus Megan Abbott and Jason Starr over at the Vertigo Crime panel.

Friday 11:30am - 12:30pm
JUDGMENT DAY

Michael Connelly interviewed by Gregg Hurwitz

Bit of a re-do from last year, but my man crush on Michael Connelly goes back too far. I have no perspective anymore. Second choice here is 'No Place to Hide'

Friday 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Dana Stabenow interviews Laurie R. King.

The Mary Russell books are one of the most dependable series being written. Sharp, funny, excellent plotting. Ms. King is a treasure.

Friday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
MURDER BY PROXY
Mulholland Books Presents:

John Schoenfelder, Miriam Parker(M), Mark Billingham, Marcia Clark, Duane Swierczynski, Daniel Woodrell, Sebastian Rotella

I'll be missing the 'No Minor Vices' panel on San Francisco Noir, but Mark Billingham is usually too much fun.

Friday 4:30 - 5:30pm
MEN WILL DIE
Noir is the new Black. Noir vs Hardboiled

Otto Penzler(M), Kent Harrington, Linda Richards, Jason Pinter, Chris Mooney

Too much awesomeness not to be missed!

I'll have The Hungry Detective's selections for Saturday and the abbreviated Sunday session up tomorrow or the next day.

Comments

Unknown said…
Can't wait to see you at the Mulholland panel!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...