Skip to main content

ONCE A SPY - Review

Small confession. If you throw the word 'spy' into the title of your novel, I am probably gonna read it. I have two sources for my obsession, neither of them are James Bond. Now, I love James, but I have never mistaken what 007 does for anything remotely resembling real tradecraft. TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY is about the zenith of fictional spy reality. If you have not seen the 6 hour miniseries from the early 80's do yourself a favor and hole up on some rainy Saturday and let Alec Guiness as George Smiley teach you life lessons about spying for Queen and Country. The other source for me is THE SANDBAGGERS. A wonderful ITV show that played in the UK from 1978 to 1980. Both of these are hyper-realistic... or what I imagine to be hyper-realistic... depictions of the work a day world of the counter-intelligence officer. So that is the short story to why Keith Thomson's ONCE A SPY ended up on my plate.

The hook for ONCE A SPY is Alzheimer's. Drummond Clark is the legendary spy who to his family worked simply for an appliance manufacturer. A spy is only as good as the secrets he can keep, and with the encroaching Alzheimer's, Drummond's deteriorating mind is now his greatest threat. Charlie is the ne'er-do-well son who only becomes hip to his father secret life once his father fatally dispatches two CIA assassins and his dad's apartment is blown to bits. Thus begins a frenzied adventure as Charlie tries to keep his father alive for his rare moments of lucidity when Drummond can figure out what exactly it is that could get them both killed.

Keith Thomson certainly has great affection for his two main characters. The father and son dynamic is well worn territory, but the usual resentments and hurt feelings are mostly for naught in ONCE A SPY. Drummond simply does not remember, and to his credit even Charlie realizes it is cruel to remind his father of missed birthday's and the like. Thomson instead turns his attention to the clean slate that is presented before his two characters. Every day, every hour is a second chance for these two guys to get their relationship right. Maybe others will feel differently but I felt the plot was a red-hearing to these finely drawn father and son moments.

I'm burnt out on the thriller so I am not the best judge of anyone's action writing. Perhaps the highest praise I can bestow here is that I never lost sight of the action before me. It is clearly and cleanly written. Perhaps the largest hill to surmount here is Drummond's moments of lucidity conveniently coinciding with the moments of greatest peril for himself and Charlie. This is what fiction does and I never found these moments terribly distracting. As for my preamble ONCE A SPY is more Flemming than le Carre, but it is an enjoyable ride one that I'll take again when Drummond and Charlie's next adventure knocks at my door.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...