Skip to main content

TRUST ME - Review

TRUST ME is the second novel from Peter Leonard. Second books are important to me. I don't 'trust' first books as an indicator of anything. Unintentional pun aside, good or bad the first book is not trustworthy. The second book is where an author needs to prove their meddle as it was likely written under a much shorter time-line than the first with the sole purpose of proving that stellar first book was no fluke. Or the reverse that the first book was not as bad as everyone said it was. So having not read Mr. Leonard's first book, QUIVER, I feel a little safer in my own personal belief that TRUST ME will be a truer gauge of Mr. Leonard's talent.

TRUST ME mines that time honored caveat of Crime Fiction; Criminals are stupid. And it is from here that there is a lot of really great stupid criminal behavior that provides TRUST ME with many enjoyable moments. If taken just on that TRUST ME is a pretty good one. It usually begs the question; How do these idiots organize getting out bed every morning let alone a criminal enterprise? The answer is simple. Criminals are savants when it comes to creating suffering in others.

Karen is a morally challenged woman who has made the foolish mistake, one of more than a few in her life, in giving her boyfriend her $300,000 nest egg. 'Love' is not forever, and now Karen wants her money back. But the boyfriend, Samir, is not stupid enough to do that. Karen recruits a couple dullards to help out with a plan to heist the money back from Samir. The heist goes suitably pear shaped, and soon Karen is on the run from everyone. Most importantly Karen is on the run from O'Clair. And while Karen's other pursuers are cruel simpletons the ex-cop, O'Clair, is Karen's biggest threat. And much like Karen, O'Clair is not really a bad guy. But mix in a few bad decisions and some suspect judgment and you have two characters who are staring down the barrel of a life gone wrong.

The real skill here is how Mr. Leonard sets up Karen and O'Clair as morally selfish characters early on, but then spends the remainder of the book tearing down his own construction. I guess this is what you call character development, but eventually you root for both in their mutually opposing goals. Still TRUST ME is best when it is running its characters through its briskly plotted story. If one can write believably in this merry-go-round of a crime thriller than Mr. Leonard has a genuine talent for action writing, in the sense that as a reader I was never lost in the business of TRUST ME.

As I said in the beginning, first books are troublesome creations. But this is what I know after reading TRUST ME. One, I can pick up a copy of QUIVER free of worry about Mr. Leonard's talent. And two, I will look forward to a long line of works exploring the crime fiction world of Peter Leonard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...