Skip to main content

More Awards....Shamus

The Hungry Detective has lost count of the number of awards slated to be given away at this year's B'Con. THD realizes that there are no more than usually, but it just seems like more than normal. The Shamus Awards were announced Sunday and have been posted to the usual sites. Not surprising with 'Shamus' as your award name all of the works nominated here feature the private detective as the champion of criminal justice.

The usual comments follow the nominees.

Best Novel
Head Games - Thomas Cavanagh
Soul Patch - Reed Farrel Coleman
The Color of Blood - Declan Hughes
A Welcome Grave - Michael Koryta
A Killer's Kiss - William Lashner

I know the work of three of this categories nominees; Coleman, Hughes, and Koryta. THD is happiest for Michael Koryta, so we are throwing our support behind A Welcome Grave.

Best First Novel
The Cleaner - Bret Battles
Keep It Real - Bill Bryan
Big City, Bad Blood - Sean Chercover
When One Man Dies - Dave White
The Last Striptease - Michael Wiley

THD has only read the Chercover and the White. And If I had to pick a preference it would have to be Big City, Bad Blood.

Best Paperback Original
Songs of Innocence - Richard Aleas
Exit Strategy - Kelley Armstrong
Stone Rain - Linwood Barclay
Deadly Beloved - Max Allan Collins
Blood of Paradise - David Corbett

Blood of Paradise has been nominated for everything in the last year, but we are aware the Collins and Aleas our loved for a variety of reasons. It is a toss up between these three.

Best Short Story
Kill the Cat (Detroit Noir) - Loren Estleman
Trust Me ( Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine) - Loren Estleman
Open Mike (New Orleans Noir) - James Nolan
Hungry Enough ( A Hell of a Woman) - Cornelia Read
Room for Improvement (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine) - Marilyn Todd

We won't presume to make a pick here as we have read none of the nominated and probably won't before the time of the Ceremony in October. It would be great if B'Con could get the rights to republish these shorts and put them in the 'goodie' bag for the conference. The Hungry Detective could probably knock them out before the vote. Maybe they already do that?

I'll post winners when appropriate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...