Skip to main content

The Evil That Men Do - Review

The Hungry Detective (THD) has spent the last few days picking away at a post that would encompass a few books that we have read in the past couple weeks. Unfortunately it was taking forever to write. THD read a couple of James Lee Burke novels and writing the notes for both books has been problematic. I loved both books. Heck we read them back to back. In the Moon of the Red Ponies and Crusaders Cross reminded me why James Lee Burke is the best that Crime Fiction has to offer..... bar none. It made us excited to read James Lee Burke again. But that is not the purpose of this post.

The Evil That Men Do - Dave White
THD thinks the casting of Charles Bronson as Jackson Donne is inspired! With CGI I am sure they can shed a few years from the Bronson's craggy mug. Rarely does Hollywood get 'it' right, but Hollywood got it right. I must have missed this in the theaters, but this will.... hmmmm... what now? Sorry, the Film Desk is in the office trying tell me that this has nothing to do with Mr. White's book.

What the hell is an 'IMDB'?!

THD is not a cover to cover reader. Most of my reading is done in the tub or in the fifteen to twenty minutes before I go to bed. The reading that gets done during the day is done before the wife gets home or while she is napping on the weekend. However, I was in a car for about 5 and half hours recently and was able to read Mr. White's book with only one interruption to use one of New York's finer rest stops.

This is the second in the continuing story of New Jersey's favorite son, ex-cop/ex-p.i. Jackson Donne. The story is best described by the adage that you maybe through with the past but the past may not be through with you. What I like in particular about this book was that the seeds of this story lay in another story that take place well before most of the character in this book are born. Told in flashback, Jackson's grandfather sees something he shouldn't and because he stands up and does the right thing he nearly costs his family their lives. The ripple effect of his action's effect Jackson nearly 70 years later, in the end, it does not tear Jackson's family apart it brings them together in the way that families should be drawn together in crisis. This is really good writing. Flashbacks can be tricky things, but here it is used to maximum effect. Choosing to focus the readers attention on a different time and different set of characters causes two distinct stories to become one impressive narrative. The insight into the Donne family was reminiscent of The Big Blowdown by George Pelecanos. I would be fascinated to see Mr. White explore the Donne family across generations in further books or as a stand alone to the Jackson Donne series.

Comments

Unknown said…
I dig the redesign, whenever that happened. Nice photo. Now I just need you to condense each entry and post it on Twitter, and we'll be all set.
Dan Wagner said…
What the hell is a 'Twitter'?!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...