Skip to main content

Winter Preview - 2007/08

In an attempt to maintain an earlier promise this is THD's Winter Preview 2007/08. BooYah?!

The thing is I have been at a low ebb as it concerns new releases. The Preview has always been about expanding past what we at THD are interested in to books and authors that tap into the zeitgeist of what is new, fresh, and/or interesting in crime fiction.

Part of this low ebb is due to the fact the 2008 release dates seem to be rather sparse, but as 2008 dates firm up I am sure that my general 2008 and Spring 2008 Preview will be a bit more expansive. Saying all of that now leads me into a few books that might be of interest to you and me..... but especially you.

Red Mandarin Dress - Qiu Xiaolong
Here is the fifth in the Detective Chen Cao series. I read his his first, Death of a Red Heroine, and loved it. Sadly I have never read any of the following books. I take only partial blame for this as I feel that poor distribution is also at the root of the problem.

Hell for the Holidays - Chris Grabenstein
Second book in this second series from Chris Grabenstein. For as much as I love his Ceepak series I have been strangely uninterested in these Holiday themed books. That and the fact the the book(s) appear simultaneously in trade and hardback editions with the trade edition only available at my local bookstore. I should purchase both as an early Christmas present to myself. Yeah that's right I just wrote 'Christmas' present..... not 'Holiday' present!

The Crimes of Doctor Watson - John H. Watson MD./Duane Swierczynski
No brainer purchase here... or (cough) Christmas present (cough). I love both these authors' work. It is about time they collaborated.

The Nameless Night - GM Ford
I think Ford's Leo Waterman character was one of the best and most interesting characters out there, but his Frank Corso character has never really connected to me to the extent that I have not even read the last two novel in that series. This is a stand-alone.

Slip of the Knife - Denise Mina
Need to read this author as we are recommending this title purely on reputation. To that end, THD is making this author their next read. The UK edition is titled The Last Breath.

The Black Dove - Stephen Hockensmith
Here is the third book in this Western themed series. THD has read the previous two efforts and felt that they just missed being really great books. Hardly matters as I am in for this third book come h-e-double hockey sticks or high water.

Good selection here. I believe that the first three books on this list have already hit the stands, so more important than reading these books or authors is buying these books from these authors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...