Skip to main content

Recent Purchases

Well a few things have come across the desk here at THD. The first purchases up for discussion were made from the the recently discovered Book Depository. The attraction of the website is threefold. First, and obviously, there is the access to UK editions that will not be released here in the US for several months. Second, the prices are very pretty competitive if not better than Amazon UK. Last, or third in this threefold wonderland of merriment, is FREE SHIPPING!

This just got interesting..... No one is going to deny me a free shipping.

Dying to Sin is the eighth book in the Cooper and Fry series written by Stephen Booth. This is a very dependable series. The general conceit of the series is that Fry and Cooper are not romantically involved at all. In fact they kind of hate each other.

I also picked up another Booth, another Cooper/Fry, Claws. I know zero about this book... well novella really. I am not sure why this book released in this way. Don't care, it is our good fortune.

The last of the BD purchases was Mark Billingham's Death Message. Another good police procedural that balances the rural noir of Booth against Billingham's city noir. The one bummer is that of the three this book sustained the most damage in shipping. It is a cause for concern. I don't want to be ruled by the condition of my books, but I do want them to be in good order. I'll throw a cover over the DJ and this should hide all but the most egregious of dings

Purchased a few days after these books were dispatched to the Home Office, I pulled the trigger on When One Man Dies by Dave White. New author, first book. There was extensive cover on Confessions and Secret Dead of the this release. I felt obligated to purchase. I've read it, and will report my findings later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...