Skip to main content

What I have read and what I am reading.

A couple weeks back I finished David Skibbins's Eight of Swords. It is the first book in the Warren Ritter series. Warren (not his real name) has been in hiding since his 70s era affiliation with the Weathermen went in to the crapper. Warren is essentially the last radical standing.

As a side note there are two good movies out there on the Weathermen. Slightly more available is a documentary from a few years ago unimaginatively titled The Weather Underground. The other maybe very hard to find. Try the library. Underground. The film was directed by Emile de Antonio. Emile was a seminal documentarian of the 1970's . He was the Michael Moore of his generation without the self aggrandizing BS.

This is a good starting point for me. Interesting lead, shadowy past. I can overlook the fact that he rides a motorcycle.... Easy Rider nonsense.

Warren is a Tarot card reader on the streets of Berkeley, CA. Apparently a mid-80s invest in Microsoft has put Warren on easy-street. Anyway, a client sits down at Warren's small booth, and the cards portend an ominous future. Before you think Tarot is ridiculous hokum, the client goes missing and the distraught mother turns up dead. Warren is ably assisted by a paraplegic hacker named Sally McLaughlin, and a nice little romance develops between her and Warren. There is a lot to like here and these characters have great room for careful development. The central crime story plays out nicely with just enough information for the reader to figure it out.

However, there are two elements that just do not work for me, no the motorcycle was not one of them. As I mentioned Warren has been underground for decades. His family does not know where he is and in fact thinks he is dead. Cosmetic surgery has helped to keep Warren hidden, but early in the book Warren's sister, visiting Berkeley for work, recognizes him. Suddenly, Warren's life becomes very complicated, and so do does the book..... needlessly. This plot point is a whole other book. I like the idea of the sister, but not here. If she had somehow played into the greater mystery it might have worked, but she didn't and it only became a distraction for me.

Second problem? Our hero is a bit mentally unstable. He visits a therapist and needs medication to handle his mood swings. Not crazy-crazy, just normal crazy. Don't know what to say here. Just did not work for me. There were a handful of scenes with his therapist and every time I felt the novel just stopped cold.

I have his second book and his third is on the way soon. I'll reserve final judgment until then.

I also read Little Girl Lost by Richard Aleas. A semi clever pseudonym for the founder, Charles Ardai, of the neo-pulp publishing house Hard Case Crime. I'll save the 'review' for later. I've read a handful of books from Hard Case, so maybe I'll group a bunch things in a single blog post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...