Skip to main content

Echo Park - Michael Connelly

Let's back track a bit. The first Connelly I read was THE CONCRETE BLOND. In the arc of the Harry Bosch character it ranks pretty high. I went back for THE BLACK ECHO and THE BLACK ICE, and then I read one of the best books of my life.

THE LAST COYOTE
is the great book of this series. A huge book. I still have distinct memories of reading it. In terms of quality only THE POET achieves the kind of greatness that THE LAST COYOTE does. I can think of few one-two punches in crime fiction like THE CONCRETE BLOND and THE LAST COYOTE. And with the non-series THE POET following COYOTE, these three books make quite the trifecta.

That is not to say that the rest of Connelly's output is mediocre. Far from it. Only that because he has written at such a high level for so long I have occasionally taken him for granted. Tsk, tsk for sure. Let me say that when I recommend authors to friends, family, random stalkers.... Michael's name is the first to come out of my mouth. Ok, sometimes Dennis Lehane sneaks out there, but fully 80% of the time Micheal is at the top.

So ECHO PARK.

For comparative purposes this is his best Bosch, his best book since ANGELS FLIGHT. In the last few Bosch books, Connelly has really pushed Harry's struggle with his inner demons to the fore. And while this has made for some really wonderful writing, this is not the Bosch/Connelly I know. I can understand Connelly's interest in exploring this angle as way to keep the character fresh, but I resist change.

The book follows Harry Bosch as he endeavors to close a case that has long haunted him. The crime is seemingly solved in the opening chapters, but this is far from the end. ECHO PARK is to my mind a return to form for Connelly and the Bosch character. Gone, for the most part, are the internal demons that have bedeviled Bosch. Absolutely, he is still conflicted, but these elements are approached much more subtly. At this point we know Harry so well that we don't need to be told that the moral gray areas where he primarily exists wear on him heavily.

Straight forward and damn the consequences is how Harry acts because long experience has taught him that it gets him the best results. Don't we all wish we could act this way? Minus the body count.....

Bosch has never had a partner in the strictest sense. The character's of Kiz Rider and Jerry Edgar have filled this role in several books, but neither is truly his partner. Bosch is too much of a lone wolf..... or coyote. No, his really partner is the guiled and gutted Los Angeles. No one rivals Connelly for his sheer descriptive power, he is the James Lee Burke of L.A. Lovely stuff that draws and repeals the reader to this land of illusions.

Echo Park really took me back to the early years of Connelly's writing. It acts as a wonderful bit of nostalgia and proves that Connelly can write this stuff in his sleep. Tough and haunting stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...