Skip to main content

Recent Purchases and Lawn Care

Back to the B&N for some purchases. All of the overstock variety.

I picked up Ace Atkins latest book, White Shadow. This I actually bought used. I have been reading Ace all the way back to his first, Crossroad Blues. This book is non-series and concerns events in 1950's Florida. I think. Ace is tops in my book, so I don't need much reason to buy anything he writes. Nick Travers is Ace's series character. Nick is a Blues Historian by day and righter of wrongs at night. These novels usually begin with Nick trying to dig up some facts on a long forgotten blues musician and in the process he discovers evil deeds. Murder, graft, the usual.

Next...... about a decade ago there was this crazy fascination with the Hypermodern novel. Instantly collectible books that were virtually impossible to buy for a reasonable price just weeks after release. I have a larger piece I want to write about that topic, but long story short I bought Julia Spencer-Fleming's Out of the Deep I Cry. Her first book is In the Bleak Midwinter and it will set you back about $150. Steep for a five year old book, but also understandable given the proven talent of her later books.

T. Jefferson Parker's, The Fallen was my penultimate purchase. I own a bunch of his books at this point. I should actually try reading one of them.

Last and most importantly, Scotts Lawns: Your Guide to a Beautiful Yard. I'm a man and I'm from the mid-west. Lawn, wife, and country.... in that order.

Total cost: $23.26.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...