Skip to main content

Recent Purchases

Over to the B&N this evening to see what I could see. Not looking for anything in particular, but given some of my Milwaukee scouting I knew that a few things had come to the overstock/bargain racks.

A few things I did not buy were James O. Born's Shock Wave. Bought it at the Madison B'Con. Would have been happy to save about $20, but I am much happier to have James signature. Also pasted on Jonathon King's A Killing Night. Here is an author that I would love to get into, but for one reason or another it never happened. Suppose I could try and back build his books, but his first book The Blue Edge of Midnight could set me back a little at this point. George Pelecanos's The Night Gardener was also available. Could of saved a little cash there too. One of the big debuts from last year was Brian Freeman's Immoral. Still I recommend all of these authors.

So what did I buy? Grab a seat Broseph 'cuz I am about to drop some crime fiction buying wisdom.

Drama City by George Pelecanos, Val McDermid by Torment of Others, and Alafair Burke's second, Missing Justice. I have yet to read her first but good reviews and genes mean I'll by her sight unseen...... for a bit. Similar situation w/ the McDermid. I am only actively getting the Tony Hill books, because I am huge fan of the UK Wire in the Blood series. Had several chances to buy Drama City last year and never did. Glad to have saved the money here, but I do try to support authors upon the initial release of the book. Sometimes it just does not happen.

Total cost. $17.43. Total savings $1.43.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good.

Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere.

Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list.

8. Prayers for Rain - 1999
The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episode o…

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part I

I was about 50 pages into the latest Michael Connelly book, THE SCARECROW, when I flipped to the front. This is the 20th novel. I decided that rather than write a review of the novel, pretty good by the way, I would write a think piece about the relationship between a highly regarded crime novelist and how reader's take for granted the author if the high standard to which they have become accustomed to is not maintained over a lengthy run of books.

This idea was quickly abandoned out of laziness. Instead, I decided to take a cue from my friend, Peter, who recently ranked all of the James Bond films. I didn't feel I could tackle all 20 novels so the list below is just the non-Harry Bosch books. Mr. Connelly's next book 9 DRAGONS releases in October so don't be surprised to see a Bosch only list then.

I wrote this list up a couple weeks ago. I have given it some time to marinate. I did make any changes but I do want to say that there is a definite break between ranking 5…

How to Stick a Landing Without Trying

I closed out the last of the Clive Cussler books about a month ago. Bit of a personal victory for me here as I don't think I have been caught up on the Dirk Pitt novels in ten plus years. I moved on to the latest, and seemingly last, of the Sean Duffy books by Adrian McKinty, POLICE AT THE STATION AND THEY DON'T LOOK FRIENDLY.
Quick aside... I was able to type that title without looking...small victories people. Small victories.
I have been reading Mr. McKinty since the beginning. I called DEAD I MAY WELL BE the best book of the last decade. I have never written a truer statement by the by.....
Just another quick aside... I kind of believe that everything from the two-thirds point in DEAD I MAY WELL BE through the rest of the Michael Forsythe trilogy is a fever dream. My primary evidence is that there is an escape from a Mexican prison that strikes me as.................unlikely.
Now. One could quibble that the start for Mr. McKinty is ORANGE RHYMES WITH EVERYTHING. Those wh…