Skip to main content

Los Angeles, Dogs and Mr. Robert Crais

I moved to Los Angeles about two weeks ago. Long story mercifully short is that the whole enterprise is a happy, but sad event. It depends on the day, but so far more happy than sad.

One of the many happy parts is that my relocation brings me to a city with infinitely more opportunity to reinvigorate my love of Crime Fiction. To that end I went to Diesel Bookstore in tony Brentwood for a signing of one of the best and brightest that Crime Fiction has to offer, Mr. Robert Crais.

Mr. Crais has been one of my favorites dating all the way back to INDIGO SLAM or VOODOO RIVER. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are two of the most dependable characters in Crime Fiction. Stand-up guys whose honesty and loyalty for each other and those they have sworn to protect are markers for the real world.

SUSPECT shifts away from Elvis and Joe to Scott and Maggie. Scott the PTSD Cop who recently lost his partner and Maggie his PTSD Police Dog recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan. Scott and Maggie are damaged souls looking for safe harbor in a storm that continues to war inside their head. Mr Crais spoke about the genesis of the book at the signing. A life long dog owner he has not owned a dog in well over a decade because of overwhelmingly strong feelings of disloyalty to his Akita that died in his arms.

I am going cry. My wife leaned over at some point during Mr. Crais's reading and whispered "You are going to be a mess." I'm oddly attracted to cats for their strange aloofness, but I love dogs for their all in devotion and love. SUSPECT will undoubtedly leave me a mess, but I am without a doubt in the sure hands of a talented author. I know this because cliche and manipulation never have and never will be a part of a Robert Crais novel. That is why he is one of the best.

Comments

Jared said…
What? New post? Me no understand!
Dan Wagner said…
I know, right.

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...