Skip to main content

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings.

As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work.

13. THE NARROWS - 2004
It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET.

12. BLACK ICE - 1993
Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runners(?) did not do much for me. The book is, however, prescient to the current border situation with Mexican Drug Dealers.

11. THE CLOSERS - 2005
Bosch returns to the comforts of the LAPD. He is on the Cold case desk. Sad to say that I remember very little of this book... good or bad.

10. TRUNK MUSIC - 1997
Another book that THD has lost to the sands of time, but again I don't remember not liking it. If I had to guess this book suffers from having THE LAST COYOTE precede it. I remember mobsters, Las Vegas, and the return of Eleanor Wish.

9. CITY OF BONES - 2002
This was the first 'real' Bosch book after a three year layoff. I was happy to have him back even if I am a bit foggy on the details

Third Person Harry Bosch made for a strange read. I think as time has gone on Mr. Connelly has done a better job of situating Bosch as a second character. Probably should be on my previous list, but what can I say. Too much time is expended on having Terry McCaleb, and others, trying to analyze and figure Bosch out.

7. ECHO PARK - 2006
This book begins what I feel is the second golden age of Mr. Connelly's writing. Bosch works a case that he was unable to solve 13 years before. In Crime Fiction, the past is only there to damn the present. ECHO PARK has that in spades. After a few 'off' books Mr. Connelly reminds us why he is the master.

6. THE BLACK ECHO - 1992
By his own admission this book was overwritten. Still this story of Bank Robbers is pretty compelling, plus the introduction of Eleanor Wish. I have had my problems with Rachel Walling, but Ms. Wish has always been an intriguing character, one that has challenged Harry at every turn.

This is where it all started for The Hungry Detective. Bosch is on trial for the most of the book for possibly killing an innocent man. The denouement of this book took me by complete surprise. Thinking back on this book it has all of the pieces of a great Connelly/Bosch book. A haunted hero, a twist ending, and a diabolical killer. Great book.

4. THE OVERLOOK - 2007
I did not read the serialized version, so this book came as a welcome surprise. Of the later Bosch books this maybe this class of the group. Just phenomenal. It is also the first book where I felt the character of Rachel Walling really worked for the story besides being used as a narrative information device for Mr. Connelly and Bosch.

3. LOST LIGHT - 2003
Bosch goes private. The end is devastating. I love this book.

2. ANGELS FLIGHT - 1999
LA is on the verge of a riot. Corruption, whether institutional or moral corruption, is something Mr. Connelly is does better than almost anyone. He is able to eschew the patronize lecturing and digs at what drives us to good and bad. I still think about the end of the book. Haunting work.

1. THE LAST COYOTE - 1995
Connelly's masterpiece. In a truly great career this is undeniably his best book. Mr. Connelly cements Bosch as the warrior samurai. One of the finest books I have ever read.

Comments

Jared said…
I haven't read all of the Connelly books, heck not even all of the Bosch books, but I have to agree that LAST COYOTE is easily the best I've read so far.

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of