Skip to main content

The Two Death of Daniel Hayes - Review

I remember back to Mr. Sakey's first book, THE BLADE ITSELF. It was exciting. Along with Sean Chercover, Mr Sakey was new and very good. He wrote a lean thriller that was high on actual thrills and low on preposterous male testosterone fantasies. His characters where regular guys who were caught up in circumstance. One of the reasons Mr. Sakey's books have worked for me is that simple fact. He didn't write about bitter former FBI agents with a dizzying array of ways to kill me. But for a stupid decision here or careless remark there you could be a character in a Mr. Sakey's novel. 

THE TWO DEATHS OF DANIEL HAYES is the latest from Mr. Sakey and it has stiff competition. His previous opus, THE AMATEURS, ranks as one of the few books I read in one sitting. To write that THE AMATEURS was engrossing is an understatement. So how does TWO DEATHS match up? Sadly, it is the lesser, and as I look back over Mr. Sakey's three other books I have to say it comes up short there as well.

Daniel wakes up on a beach in Maine. He is cold, wet and devoid of much of his memory. He pieces a few clues together. The car nearby is his, and with California plates he realizes he is far from home. He makes it back to California only to discover that he is suspect number one in the murder of his actress wife. Complicating the issue is a shadowy figure, Bennett, who is hellbent on discovering the whereabouts of a missing necklace, and assumes Daniel knows the location. A young women, Belinda, is also prowling around the periphery of both men while she hides a secret that will change everything.

That secret is revealed about two-thirds of the way through the book, and it does in fact change everything. The reveal is handled well, and when it does come it is a bit of shock. Mr. Sakey has always used these game changing moments to their fullest effect. They are a challenge to the reader's expectations. In this case, he literally gets to take the narrative of TWO DEATHS in another direction. And it works... for awhile.

The cause for concern here are the three main characters of TWO DEATHS. Daniel is, well, kind of douche. He is not particularly engaging, and comes off as a surface and shallow individual. The 'Every Man' quality that works for Mr. Sakey's lead characters is just flat-out missing here. Bennett is the kind of character that I have come to really dislike in thrillers. Every response, whether with words or a gun, is always so polished and practiced. Tens steps ahead of everyone and deathly boring because of it. Belinda is perhaps the most complex of the bunch. She has actual secrets, and until Mr. Sakey reveals them the passages with her are easily the best of the book. However, once her ultimate secret is given up, Belinda like Daniel and Bennett loses her reason for being.

I'll close by writing this. I still enjoyed this book a great deal. Mr. Sakey is an accomplished storyteller, and TWO DEATHS is no different. For me, the guts of this book did not work, but its construction is without question top notch, like clockwork. And as I explained to a friend, lesser Marcus Sakey is still better than most everyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...