Skip to main content

He said, She said, We said, What Up with That?

As The Hungry Detective begins to look forward to the end of year I have planned a somewhat busy slate of offerings. I will have a small handful of reviews, and  the Winter '09-'10 book preview to deliver. I am also working on another 'The Very Best of' list this time featuring Robert Crais. But the biggest news is that December means it is a time to readdress the year. I will provide not only a 'Best of 2009' list but a 'Best of the Decade' list. And yes, I realize the decade ends next year, but last time I checked this was a Crime Fiction blog, not a calendar blog.

The 'Best of the Decade' list will be 10 books delivered in two posts. Six through ten and then One through five a few days after that. I am 99% sure of what number one is going to be and if you have paid attention at all to this blog I really don't think it is that hard to figure out . In fact, I may have referred to this book as the best book of decade already. Maybe I should disable the search function for the blog. In any case I'll put up the first part of the list during the week of December 14th.

The 'Best of 2009' post will came much closer to the end of the year, particularly as I try to cram in as many 2009 books as I can. I'll keep to a top 3 as I did last year, as well as, a pick for the best non-2009 release. As of this moment. I have read 49 books. Not too shabby for me, and of those, 24 are 2009 releases.  I am aiming to read four books, beside the intriguing THE MANUAL OF DETECTION, before the end of the year. I wish it could be more, but holidays, ya know.

The Fury + The Darkness - Jason Pinter - Pending
Dark Mirror - Barry Maitland - Pending
Level 26 - Anthony E. Zuiker + Duane Swierczynski - Pending
The Manual of Detection - Jedediah Berry - Current
The Crack in the Lens - Steve Hockensmith
The Long Division - Derek Nikitas
9 Dragons - Michael Connelly
The Violet Hour - Daniel Judson
The Cold Dish - Craig Johnson
Double Exposure - Michael Lister
The Dead of Winter - Rennie Airth
Loot the Moon - Mark Arsenault
Bloods A Rover - James Ellroy
Trust Me - Peter Leonard
Safer - Sean Doolittle
The Amateurs - Marcus Sakey
Palos Verdes Blue - John Shannon
The Silent Hour - Michael Koryta
Mind Scrambler - Chris Grabenstein
The Scarecrow - Michael Connelly
The Chalk Circle Man - Fred Vargas
Queenpin - Megan Abbott
Where the Dead Lay - Davie Levien
Boundary Waters - William Kent Krueger
Road Dogs - Elmore Leonard
Killer Summer - Ridley Pearson
Dust and Shadow - Lyndsay Faye
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Treasure of Khan - Clive Cussler
Still Life - Louise Penny
1974 - David Peace
Fifty Grand - Adrian McKinty
Scared to Live - Stephen Booth
A Simple Act of Violence - R.J. Ellory
Sins of the Assassin - Robert Ferrigno
Blue Heaven - C.J. Box
Revenge of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death - Charlie Huston
The King of Lies - John Hart
White Shadow - Ace Atkins
On the Grind - Stephen J. Cannell
The Curse of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz
The Clean Up - Sean Doolittle
In the Woods - Tana French
A Cure For Night - Justin Peacock
What the Dead Know - Laura Lippman
The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz
Summer of Fear - T. Jefferson Parker
Cheshire Moon - Robert Ferrigno
Pacific Beat - T. Jefferson Parker - ABANDONED
The Horse Latitudes - Robert Ferrigno
The Barbarous Coast - Ross Macdonald
Hell Hole - Chris Grabenstein

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...