Skip to main content

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. I

I know, I know. I have left a ton of things off the list. In ten years I'm guessing I have read around 300 books and that is not a lot. Many of the great books of the 'aughts' were sadly un-read by The Hungry Detective. Biggest regrets are that I only read one Laura Lippman and not enough Pelecanos. But, I shouldn't regret what I don't know. What I do know is I have had the opportunity to experience some really wonderful crime fiction. This list, in two parts, is only a small part of it.

10. THE WATCHMAN - Robert Crais (2007)
Balls out the decades best opening 25 pages. I don't buy hyperbole like 'pulse pounding excitement' or 'a nerve jangling thrill ride, but all of those adjectives apply to this book. The 'first' Joe Pike did not disappoint. THE WATCHMAN accomplishes the difficult balancing act of letting us in to Joe Pike's world without him losing any of his mystery or menace. Mr. Crais has been writing at such a high level for such a long time that I found myself taking him for granted recently. This is something I will never do again. THE WATCHMAN is up there with the finest in his canon.

9. THE EVIL THAT MEN DO - Dave White (2008)
I just remember thinking, as I read this book on a long drive to Massachusetts, that Mr. White had a fine grasp of how the past can deeply effect the present. The present day story here is connected to the past via Jackson Donne's mother who is dying of complications from Alzheimer's. It could feel gimmicky as the mother slips in and out lucidity to clue Jackson in on his family's secrets, but it never does. Instead THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a haunting piece of work about living one's life by a personal code that all to often damns the ones you love the most.

8. JAR CITY - Arnaldur Indridason (2000)
It would be easy to place JAR CITY on this list for purely exotic reasons. I wouldn't even feel the need to justify myself given that Mr. Indridason renders Iceland with the same mysticism that James Lee Burke renders the Louisiana Bayou. Detective Erlender has failed at most things in his life except for his profession. But even being a cop is now slowly eating away at his confidence in his fellow man. JAR CITY is a reflective book that wonders if we can change our nature or do we have good or evil hardwired into our DNA.

7. LOST LIGHT - Michael Connelly (2003)
For a moment I thought that Mr. Connelly's work might not be represented here, but no worries folks this is a great one. Looking over the handful of lists to appear at this point, some have pointed to THE LINCOLN LAWYER, but I went with LOST LIGHT for its chilling conclusion. Bosch did not survive too well in the world without the badge. The arc of books where Bosch goes private definitely shows that being a Cop is not just a means to upholding his deep moral code. Bosch needs to be a Cop for his own survival.



6. HAVE MERCY ON US ALL - Fred Vargas (2001/03)

I think what I find special about this book, and indeed all of Ms. Vargas's work, is her ability to take the stories of the background characters and turn them into enthralling pieces of the puzzle. Ms. Vargas begins HAVE MERCY ON US ALL with an extended set up in a Paris neighborhood square. One of the local eccentrics designates himself the town crier. His news ranges from the ordinary to the ridiculous to the ominous as his messages foreshadow a return of the plague. I found the book to be prescient to many of our real world problems.



I'll have the top 5 up for your perusal in a few days. I might sneak the Winter Preview in before, but this will only serve to heighten the tension. Trust me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...