Skip to main content

Edgar Report 2008

The Edgars got handed out last night and once again THD was not in attendance. Forgive the quick digression because it is one that I feel that I have made before.

At this point in the life of the internet and the invaluable tool it has become for all things Crime Fiction, I am incredulous that that the MWA can't post video highlights of the Award Ceremony. I don't need the whole show (although I'd be cool with that too), just the winner and the little speech they may provide would be wonderful content for the MWA website. I'll take the less cynical route and write that this probably has been discussed and shot down to due certain rights and author release issues.

Excuse me for a moment while I get off my high horse and take off these chaps. Ok. All better.

I've listed the four the categories that I covered in depth on Sunday. Winners are in red. The Complete list of winners is here.

Best Novel
Christine Falls by Benjamin Black
Priest
by Ken Bruen
The Yiddish Policemen's Union
by Michael Chabon
Soul Patch by Reed Farrel Coleman
Down River
by John Hart

John was nominated last year in the Best First Novel Category so he seems to have Edgar's number. And it was for this reason I had Down River as the second favorite. However, I thought if Soul Patch was not going to win voters would turn to Priest, but then again what do I know if I can't even trust my own odds.

Best First Novel by an American Author

Missing Witness by Gordon Campbell
In the Woods
by Tana French
Snitch Jacket
by Christopher Goffard
Head Games
by Craig McDonald
Pyres
by Derek Nikitas

On Sunday I wrote that the In the Woods seemed the safe bet and as luck would have it I was right. I think I also gave the slight impression that the only reason it was nominated was that the book had a healthy PR push. I do think this book received the largest push, but it also received some pretty wonderful reviews.

Best Paperback Original
Queenpin
by Megan Abbott
Blood of Paradise
by David Corbett
Cruel Poetry
by Vicki Hendricks
Robbie's Wife
by Russell Hill
Who is Conrad Hirst?
by Kevin Wignall

I felt this was the strongest of all of the categories, and the toughest call. I am happy that Queenpin won, but I am also really bummed that Corbett or Wignall missed out in this category.

Best Motion Picture Screen Play

Eastern Promises
, Screenplay by Steven Knight
The Lookout
, Screenplay by Scott Frank
Michael Clayton
, Screenplay by Tony Gilroy
No Country for Old Men
, Screenplay by Coen Bros., based on the book by Cormac McCarthy
Zodiac
, Screenplay by James Vanderbilt, based on the book by Robert Graysmith

I felt the No Country juggernaut would pick this award up as well, but no Tony Gilroy for Michael Clayton are this year's recipient. I wanted Zodiac, but I am hardly disappointed that Michael Clayton picked up this award. If memory serves Zodiac was No. 3 on my Top ten and Michael Clayton was No. 4.

I successfully picked Young Adult and Young Juvenile. And in the close but no cigar category, I wanted to pick Reclaiming History for Best Fact Crime, but felt the book was just not timely.

Congratulations to all the winners. Enjoy your moment in the sun!

Finally, I just want to thank The Rap Sheet for the plug earlier in the week. It is always fun to see my Google analytic numbers spike!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of