Skip to main content

Economics and the Future II

[Editor's Note: I have massaged this piece for longer than I care to admit. One should never openly denigrate ones work, but in wondering why this has taking me so long to finish I confront two options. One, I was trying to get it 'right,' and that is true up to a point. I am driving at something with this post that I am never quite able to quantify, hence the endless editing. Which then leads me into the second reason, that it just doesn't make any sense. The post starts by making a point then goes about proving it...or not proving it in this case..in the least effective way possible.] 

I wish my ennui with Amazon had something to do with any one of the corporate messes that they have found themselves in over the last ten years, but that is not the reason. In a previous post I figured, through some suspect math, that I spend $700 a year on new Crime Fiction. While this number does not account for used, and rather expensive back catalog books, it is a useful number to understand the Crime Fiction I do buy as a recurring expenditure. $700 is not an insignificant number, and leaving behind Amazon will cost me more money. However, it is an expense I can absorb. [Editor's Note: Full disclosure, Amazon will be necessary for a handful of items. Are those Thomas Mercer books available elsewhere?] 

This brings me around to the reason why I am doing this. Condition. During the bulk of my book buying/collecting I was rabid about condition, going so far as to buy the book and read a library copy. Eventually I abandoned that practice primarily for it being overly precious. Reading the books became very much at the core of the whole process of buying and collecting Crime Fiction.

Then two years ago I went to a signing in Los Angeles. It was for the release of SUSPECT by Robert Crais. I got to the store early enough to look over the stack of books to find one in good condition because there was no reason not too. I presented the book to the cashier who gave the book the once over for reasons I can not fathom. She was not checking the price because everyone was there to buy one book, the same book, and I was hardly the first person to do so. After she does this, she rings it up and then sets the book down and grabs another book from the large pile on the shelf behind her and hands me that book.Which of course was dinged on a corner. It marked the bookstore as I have never been back since that night. [Editor's Note: I went to another signing last week actually...it has been a long editing process....] The casualness of the cashier's decision is something I never forgot. Even more mystifying was my acceptance of the situation when I wanted to simply point and say 'Look you clearly don't give damn, but can I have the book I gave you' [Editors Note: If it makes you feel any better this circumstance happened once before and you did ask for the book you picked out...although I think you were slightly calmer about the whole thing than your imagined rejoinder here indicates]. I was reminded instantaneously that the words and the book carry equal weight for me, and that there is no reason to have to choose one over the other. There is nothing wrong with wanting both. It was this realization that forced me to look at 'why' I was doing all of this. Yes it is about about my passion for Crime Fiction, but it is also about my passion for an object.

I could save money going with Amazon, but honestly, the extra money would only finds it way to other books. The secondary outcome here is that buying local will help support the independent bookstore community, so if they benefit from my clearly unstable behavior on this matter then it is a win-win for everyone.

[Editor's Note: See what I mean....]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of